Seems over-complicated

Story: Printing to a Windows Printer from Gnu/Linux without Linux driversTotal Replies: 10
Author Content
vagabondo

May 22, 2012
12:21 PM EDT
I do not know much about MS Windows, but haven't MS provided a LPR service since the early days of Win-NT? does it not work?

"HOW TO: Install and Configure Print Services for UNIX" http://support.microsoft.com/kb/324078

Koriel

May 22, 2012
1:27 PM EDT
Print Services for Unix certainly worked on XP but I have no idea about Windows 7 and it would be the perfect solution to his problem unless im missing something, I used to use this method on an old Epson printer I had, no linux drivers were available so I just set up a windows machine I had lying around as a print server.
skelband

May 22, 2012
1:42 PM EDT
Unless I'm missing something, surely a samba printer share would be natural choice here?

Edit: Ah, I read a bit more of the article. Is he saying that it is one of those ${Deity}-awful Windows printers? I can see why that would cause some problems.
Koriel

May 22, 2012
2:38 PM EDT
Yep he doesn't have a driver for linux so couldn't use samba, all he needs is an old XP machine (which he already has) running unix print services and he's golden, no need for this faffing around watching a network folder.
penguinist

May 22, 2012
11:05 PM EDT
For me, the best solution is a wifi printer/scanner combination. Everyone in the house can access it, and it doesn't have to be tethered to a server box. Brother provides pretty decent Linux driver support for the models I've tried, and their ink is an order of magnitude less expensive than the competition's.
Fettoosh

May 23, 2012
12:14 AM EDT
Quoting:Brother provides pretty decent Linux driver support for the models I've tried,

I bought this one couple weeks ago on special for $80. including ink cartridge. Now it is $140. What a deal!

Had no problem installing it on our local network via Ethernet first to configure its wireless. When I installed its driver from Brother, it was automatically detected and just had to make couple modification using CUPS and everything has been running great.

I don't know how much such a printer would cost in Portugal, where this author is from I believe.

Koriel

May 23, 2012
12:35 AM EDT
Bought a Canon MX420 about 3 weeks ago, just install the linux drivers and it works.

Its wireless and did not require initial hook up via ethernet, I just powered it up and it found my wireless network then it asked for the password and bobs your uncle that was it.

Installed the linux driver and it found the printer on the network and automatically configured it, it also has its own software for the scanner that integrates with gimp and an ink level utility.

The fax shows up in Libreoffice but have no idea if it works as I just use it like a regular fax machine.

Ink is not too expensive either, so overall its a joy to use unlike my last Epson which had no scanner driver and went faulty a month after the warranty expired they refused to fix it so I ditched it and told them that was their last purchase from me and would do my damnedest to persuade friends and acquaintances not to purchase Epson, so far I have chalked up 4 successes on that score.

Hey Canon & HP i hope the cheque is in the post :)
penguinist

May 23, 2012
8:52 AM EDT
The Brother printers also do not require an ethernet connection to configure. I've been doing the wireless configuration from the printer's keypad and it's worked fine on three models so far.
jdixon

May 23, 2012
9:23 AM EDT
> Bought a Canon MX420...

We already have a scanner which works well with Linux, but our old monochrome laser printer was starting to act up after about 7 years of service, so we purchased a Samsung printer while we were at the TigerDirect store near Atlanta last summer. From memory, it's a CLP-325W. It works with Linux, and so far it's worked well, though we use a wired connection and haven't tried the wireless yet. Thus far we haven't even needed any toner.

It looks like NewEgg currently has it for $100: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16828112...
Fettoosh

May 23, 2012
10:46 AM EDT
Quoting:The Brother printers also do not require an ethernet connection to configure.

That is true but, you need to have a router which has Wi-Fi Protected Setup (WPS) or Air Station One-Touch Secure System (AOSS) button on your WLAN access point/router, according to the docs. I don't have such a thing on my router.

Quoting:I've been doing the wireless configuration from the printer's keypad and it's worked fine on three models so far

May be that is described somewhere in the Quick Setup Guide but I didn't bother looking for it since configuring over Ethernet connection is trivial.

CFWhitman

May 23, 2012
12:48 PM EDT
In my experience when using print services for Unix in Windows, you need to have the proper print driver on the client device. On the server side, it doesn't matter what Windows print driver you use, since it gets ignored (unless you are printing directly from it of course), but the client has to have the proper driver. I generally have the proper print driver on both machines, so I suppose I could be mistaken, but that's the way I remember it. Unix print services are available on Windows 7 as well, but they are under "Print and Document Services." The relevant services are "LPR Port Monitor" and "LPD printing Service."

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!