A better solution...

Story: How To Increase Performance Ubuntu PC/Laptop With Low RamTotal Replies: 6
Author Content
caitlyn

May 24, 2012
7:55 AM EDT
A better solution is to use a lightweight distro rather than Ubuntu.
JaseP

May 24, 2012
10:25 AM EDT
An even better one is to set swappiness lower...
penguinist

May 24, 2012
10:33 AM EDT
On my Mele A2000 arm box (512MB memory), no swap is configured at all. So far the performance seems fine.
tracyanne

May 24, 2012
6:37 PM EDT
I use JaseP's solution. I'm very happy with it, the machine very rarely uses swap, and only when I have lots of applications open
CFWhitman

May 25, 2012
11:01 AM EDT
I have an old laptop with 256 MB of RAM that at this moment has Lubuntu on it. Default Lubuntu does not like 256 MB of RAM. My immediate solution was to switch to IceWM rather than LXDE. It's amazing how much better it runs this way.
caitlyn

May 27, 2012
1:21 AM EDT
@CFWhitman: I'm not surprised. Something like JWM, which uses less RAM than IceWM, would probably be even better. My point about using something else is that *buntu has a lot of things which can and are stripped out from some lightweight distros, i.e.: PulseAudio. If you compared the performance of Lubuntu (even with LXDE) with the performance of the LXDE build of SalixOS you'd see why I recommend running a lighter distro. I guarantee you'd like SalixOS performance better.
CFWhitman

May 27, 2012
6:50 AM EDT
Well, actually, I would normally run Slackware on a machine like this, but the video on this particular machine has proven to be problematic. Several distributions won't even give you command line video (though I think that may be able to be worked around with the right kernel parameter). Most of the remaining ones won't play full motion video (at least not with an accelerated overlay, which this machine definitely needs). In fact, even the newest Lubuntu won't play full motion video, so I have been considering going back to an Ubuntu 11.04 based distribution (the most recent distribution I know will work). I was just commenting that a lighter desktop definitely makes a big difference even in an Ubuntu based distro.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!