partitioning

Story: How to Defensively Partition Your Hard Drive in LinuxTotal Replies: 5
Author Content
wayne1932

May 24, 2012
9:12 AM EDT
I have additional partitions called MyDocuments, MyMusic, and MyMisc. That way even if my /home partition gets screwed up, my data is still safe. Don't forget that the desktop settings for YOU will be in the /home/YOU directories. And NEVER NEVER forget to back them up some where off of your machine, just in case your hard drive goes to NEVERNEVER land.
JaseP

May 24, 2012
10:06 AM EDT
You have a nice suggestion,... Only,... The issue would be where those partitions fill up,... By defining the size of the media partitions separately as you do, you limit the the storage space for that type of media to be no more than that size (assuming you rigidly enforce where that type of media goes). It might be better to simply define a "multimedia" partition, with the users' "Pictures," "Music," "Video" and "Documents" directories point to sub directories on that partition... You could even allow the space to be shared by all users, but enforce file policies to not allow deletion or editing of another user's files, but allow for read only use...
mbaehrlxer

May 24, 2012
12:32 PM EDT
yeah, i keep running into that problem. i am defining less and less partitions in order to make the most of the space. especially on smaller disks. i am now down to /,/boot, /local and /var. only on my largest, 1TB disk i have some extra partitions to separate critical archives from random downloads.

(edit: /home is linked to /local/users)

greetings, eMBee.
caitlyn

May 24, 2012
12:37 PM EDT
I always keep /home separate. On a server having /var separate to preserve logs is important. /boot is legacy for the most part unless you intend on encrypting the root partition.
ComputerBob

May 24, 2012
12:52 PM EDT
I always use /, /swap, /home, and /data -- then I use NFS to share /data, which holds all of my data and email/browser settings/data, so that all of my PCs can access them.
gus3

May 24, 2012
1:32 PM EDT
@caitlyn, if we can dodge this execrable UEFI cr@p, it may make sense to keep a separate /boot, at least as a "better safe than sorry" thing.

Plus, the Raspberry Pi's CPU is spec'd to load "start.elf" from the SD card's first partition, which must be a FAT partition. That isn't particular to the RPi; it's how Broadcom made it.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!