Caitlyn, Caitlyn, Caitlyn, ....

Story: Jobs Nobody Qualifies ForTotal Replies: 2
Author Content
dinotrac

May 29, 2012
1:34 PM EDT
that is only the tip of the iceberg.

I don't know how much of the problem is sheer inability to understand what it actually takes to do a job, how much is fear of getting stuck with a bad employee you can't (or, more realistically, are too cowardly to) fire, and how much is not wanting to run afoul of anti-discrimination laws that really aren't as tricky as people seem to think.

Whatever the case -- nobody seems to know how to hire anybody any more. And then -- they complain because they can't find good employees.

I wistfully remember being hired for three different contracts, being acclaimed as a rock star at all three, and being offered permanent employment in each case. All without having much of anything in the way of qualifications except for a long history of being a go-to guy who would get the job done, without regard for what the job was.

In one case, my qualifications fell so far short of the job description that the HR system refused to let me be entered for the job. We had to figure out creative non-lying ways to fill in the info so that I could be hired on.

Those were the days. Good people do good work. Resumes don't do much of anything.

montezuma

May 29, 2012
6:20 PM EDT
Interesting points Dino. My impression is that things have become ridiculously formal and common sense is absent. Perhaps that is because those sorts of jobs no longer are regarded as highly by management as they once were. For many in management manipulation has replaced getting a job done efficiently as a Modus Operandi

/Grumpymiddleagedguy
BernardSwiss

May 29, 2012
7:29 PM EDT
@ dinotrac

Its worse than that -- all to often when an employer (who is constantly complaining about the difficulty of finding qualified, competent, reliable people) do hire promising staff who can do the job (or easily learn to), they treat the employee(s) so badly that they inevitably up and leave on the sensible grounds that they can readily find reasonable employment elsewhere -- which of course is interpreted as more proof that good, well-qualified people can't be found.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!