KDE is Listening

Story: First Beta of KDE SC 4.9 Is Available for TestingTotal Replies: 15
Author Content
Fettoosh

Jun 05, 2012
8:19 AM EDT
Quoting: Thorough and Rigorous Beta Testing:

The KDE Community is committed to improving quality substantially with a new program that starts with the 4.9 releases. The 4.9 beta releases of Plasma Workspaces, KDE Applications, and KDE Platform are the first phase of a testing process that involves volunteers called “Beta Testers”. They will receive training, test the two beta releases and report issues through KDE Bugzilla.

It is an indication that the KDE team is doing all they can to improve the quality of their software by listening to their users. I suggested the same thing while back. It is pretty nice to see that happening.

ComputerBob

Jun 05, 2012
8:45 AM EDT
When I saw the title of this thread, I immediately knew you were the one who had started it, as well as what you were going to say.
caitlyn

Jun 05, 2012
8:49 AM EDT
OK, but do you disagree with Fettoosh? I don't. As I said in a thread to another article on the same subject, I've been impressed with the 4.8.x releases and the direction KDE development has been going in. Seeking community input is a good thing and hopefully will result in further improvements.
ComputerBob

Jun 05, 2012
9:05 AM EDT
I don't agree or disagree with him -- I broke up with KDE a couple of years ago, because I found her to be cold and insensitive, so I really don't care if she's acting nicer to other people now.

For the time being, I'll withhold judgment on the direction that KDE development is going, since seeking community input is a whole lot easier than allowing it to influence you.
Fettoosh

Jun 05, 2012
10:41 AM EDT
Quoting: ... I immediately knew you were the one who had started it, ...

That is because I am consistent CB, and KDE deserve credit.

Now think of it this way, if they have listened to some of the complaints and stopped the development of KDE4 Plasma, many users wouldn't have had the chance to enjoy the beauty, elegance, & innovations KDE brought to some of us.

I hope giving them the credit they deserve doesn't bother you.

ComputerBob

Jun 05, 2012
10:51 AM EDT
Seigo, is that you again?
montezuma

Jun 05, 2012
10:58 AM EDT
Well that is good to see and I suppose this is meant to be a pointed remark about developers who do not seek user input like, let's see, Gnome 3 developers.....

or KDE 4.0 developers. Ooops

I prefer Cinnamon because Clem has bent over backwards to meet user input and has done it very fast (6 months).
Fettoosh

Jun 05, 2012
11:16 AM EDT
Quoting:Seigo, is that you again?

No, still good old Fettoosh. :-)

Quoting:I prefer Cinnamon because Clem has bent over backwards to meet user input and has done it very fast (6 months).

Glad to see everyone can find and have their favorite.

Ridcully

Jun 05, 2012
6:21 PM EDT
Well, I am going to assume (quite correctly I believe) that "Fettoosh is telling it like it is" - there would be little point otherwise. In any event, the first quotation by Fettoosh is key to this. I equally assume that the KDE team is also "telling it like it is" - again, there would be little point otherwise.

Let's face it, KDE4 has had some dreadful press and lost so many original users - totally understandable as far as I am concerned but additionally rather sad. I don't believe anyone in the Linux world could come to the conclusion that the continued/continuous barrage of complaints and often downright anger did NOT reach Siego and his team. And if you can get input from volunteers in the community - again assuming they are independent and not "rusted-on" KDE fanatics - then you can get honest feedback into the KDE system. ComputerBob sounds like an ideal beta tester because I am absolutely sure he would "tell it like it is"........and if I read things correctly, that is precisely what the KDE4 team want and need.

I intensely prefer KDE as my desktop manager. Generally speaking I understand it and can use it to advantage. It may be slower than Xfce, but it allows me to do far more on the desktop, and usually far more easily. (Yeah, okay, I'm a person who likes to lay back with a glass of red and take it easy and KDE allows me to do that.) I think this move is a great one. My only adverse comment would be that I would have liked this much, much, much earlier in the series - or if it was happening, more publicity about it.
tracyanne

Jun 05, 2012
6:52 PM EDT
ComputerBob wrote:Seigo, is that you again?

Cb I'm quite certain Fettoosh isn't Aaron Seigo, I'm pretty sure he won't talk to me after some of my responses to him when KDE 4.0 was released, and Fettoosh talks to me.
tracyanne

Jun 05, 2012
6:54 PM EDT
@Fettoosh, nice to hear. I've been pretty sure they have taken a considerably more professional attitude, just from reading the blogs, and seeing some of the new directions.
Fettoosh

Jun 05, 2012
8:03 PM EDT
To back up what they are saying, and to avoid causing problems similar to what happened during the rocky stage, they now have packages that will install side by side to an existing KDE installation to test before making final installation, and without causing any changes/problems to the existing KDE. I never heard of this approach until now, which I assume they were working on it and recently resolved some issues that were show stoppers. The name of the project is Neon

They are making beta versions available to everyone who would like to participate. You can get KDE 4.9 Beta1 Here scroll to "Installation" for instructions.

You can read about Neon project Here

Edited: & Here

@Ridcully, Thanks for the nice words. I am not sure why @CB is suspecting I am some how connected to KDE and I am trying to push their software. For his sake, I repeat and say I have no ties with KDE at all. I just like and use the software.

@TA, I installed it on my test machine and to my surprise, the icons in left panel area no longer auto-size when the panel is extended. :-)

tracyanne

Jun 05, 2012
8:14 PM EDT
@Fettoosh YAY!!!
Ridcully

Jun 05, 2012
8:22 PM EDT
@Fettoosh and Tracyanne........No worries Fettoosh. I just think this feedback mechanism is terrific and should produce much faster "fixes" than previously.....also amendments to the code reflecting user needs.

Oh....and Tracyanne, unless you have copyrighted the phrase, me too.......@Fettoosh YAY !!!
tracyanne

Jun 05, 2012
8:52 PM EDT
@Rid, no copyright.

BTW, we're traveling, currently in Gayndah
Ridcully

Jun 05, 2012
9:01 PM EDT
@tracyanne........hey, mandarine area !! Just up north from here. Have fun. The nearest we have been to where you are is Ban Ban Springs, a hop step and a jump south. Interesting little place. Okay, thanks for the last bit, I'll stand my legal team down. LOL.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!