I'm waiting for the version...

Story: Turn your old Netbook into a Touchscreen TabletTotal Replies: 2
Author Content
caitlyn

Jun 05, 2012
4:29 PM EDT
I'm waiting for the version that lets me turn a 7" tablet into a netbook with a real keyboard :) Seriously, tablets are neat toys. I can do real work on a netbook.
tracyanne

Jun 05, 2012
9:18 PM EDT
I seriously can't see the point.
JaseP

Jun 06, 2012
12:31 PM EDT
You can't ink without a touchscreen (a drawing pad is close, but no cigar)... A touchscreen gives you the ability to sign documents. Flick scrolling is intuitive. There are other advantages... But a touch screen on a netbook is all these kits are. They aren't total conversions, for the most part.

I personally always wondered why we haven't seen more X86 tablets. As long as they have a kickstand and a USB or Bluetooth keyboard/trackpad combo, you have the best of both worlds. You don't even have to change the netbook design much,... just case alterations and lose the integrated keyboard and touchpad. But those few I've seen go for $100s more than a standard netbook, with only about $40 more in parts (if that). Plus, you save on having a hinge (a typical failure point on netbooks and laptops) and can sell more accessories (soft cases, carrying straps, styluses, screen protectors, extra batteries, etc.). Convertables are more common, but the hinge failure rate is something like 15%, adding to manufacturers' warranty costs. Lose the hinge, integrate the touchscreen with the body, throw in a USB keyboard/touch pad, and call it a day...

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!