Hits the nail on the head

Story: Gnome Developers Should Start Listening To Linus Torvalds Total Replies: 12
Author Content
caitlyn

Jun 06, 2012
10:13 AM EDT
This article really nails it. Unfortunately GNOME developers seem absolutely unable to accept criticism or accept community input.
jdixon

Jun 06, 2012
10:49 AM EDT
> Unfortunately GNOME developers seem absolutely unable to accept criticism or accept community input.

Have they ever?
caitlyn

Jun 06, 2012
10:51 AM EDT
Not as far as I know. I could be wrong about that because I don't follow GNOME all that closely. I gave up on it some time ago.
tuxchick

Jun 06, 2012
11:18 AM EDT
Every time GNOME approaches a nice level of stability and usability, they tear it down and start over. It's a sickness.
jdixon

Jun 06, 2012
12:10 PM EDT
> Not as far as I know.

Me either. Nice to have my perception confirmed by an outside source though.
kingttx

Jun 07, 2012
1:57 PM EDT
On one hand, they risk losing support of the community.

On the other hand, sometimes it takes shutting out all the external "noise" once you figure out a direction in order to get any work done. Users can be fickle at times.

I'm in the KDE camp so I have no dog in this fight.
jdixon

Jun 07, 2012
2:03 PM EDT
> I'm in the KDE camp so I have no dog in this fight.

You have no idea how I have to bite my tongue given that straight line. :)
Bob_Robertson

Jun 07, 2012
2:12 PM EDT
Yeah, JD, I was thinking much the same thing.
kingttx

Jun 07, 2012
2:16 PM EDT
What? You thinking of the KDE 3 -> KDE 4 transition?
Bob_Robertson

Jun 07, 2012
3:11 PM EDT
King, I think drawing parallels betwixt what KDE did and what GNOME did is valid.
kingttx

Jun 07, 2012
3:49 PM EDT
What KDE *did* and what GNOME *is doing*, sure. That's not the current state of affairs, though.

Plus, when I say "in the KDE camp," I should clarify: I *prefer* and use KDE but I'm not associated with KDE.

Again, no dog in this fight. ;-)
jdixon

Jun 07, 2012
4:16 PM EDT
> You thinking of the KDE 3 -> KDE 4 transition?

Primarily, yes.

> I *prefer* and use KDE but I'm not associated with KDE.

I never supposed that you were. I assumed you were merely a happy KDE user. Which is why I only made the comment I did.
kingttx

Jun 07, 2012
8:39 PM EDT
:-)

Honestly, though, I'm really digging Ubuntu Studio lately with all the work they put into the system. We'd run Ardour on OpenSUSE and vanilla Ubuntu, and it acted horribly. We installed Ubuntu Studio and it sung along nicely with a fair number of concurrent tracks. The GUI is lightweight and leaves more cycles for the audio.

All that to say, I'll pick whatever DE/window manager is good for the job.

Until I have a Linux tablet in my hot little hands, GNOME isn't a tool in my toolchest yet.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!