How relevant is gnome-shell?

Story: Gnome-Shell gets its first facelift!Total Replies: 13
Author Content
montezuma

Jun 09, 2012
8:24 AM EDT
I assume this is directed at Fedora users. Not many other folks online I talk to use gnome-shell and judging from Linus's recent outburst there are some unhappy Fedora folks.
MALsPa

Jun 09, 2012
2:28 PM EDT
Looks like Linus is prone to outbursts. I've found that just because he doesn't like something doesn't mean that I won't. I enjoy using GNOME Shell in Ubuntu as well as in Fedora. I certainly don't see it as being irrelevant, but to each their own.
caitlyn

Jun 11, 2012
1:55 PM EDT
Right now GNOME-shell is slightly less popular than KDE 4.0 was. Relevant? Yes, perhaps in the future. Linus Torvalds' comments reflect the attitude that lots of people in the Linux community have towards GNOME.
claudecat

Jun 11, 2012
2:25 PM EDT
For me, gnome-shell's main effect has been to force me to come to terms with - and eventually, come to love - KDE and to a lesser extent XFCE and even Fluxbox. I know that there are those that actually like gnome-shell, and it can be prettied up so as to be useable (Deepin does a fair job), but for me it's less useful than even Unity.
helios

Jun 11, 2012
7:03 PM EDT
I know that there are those that actually like gnome-shell....

Yep there are. I know both of them.
Steven_Rosenber

Jun 11, 2012
7:04 PM EDT
KDE is looking positively conservative, especially given what's happening not just with GNOME and Unity, but also with the UIs for Windows and Mac OS.
helios

Jun 11, 2012
7:18 PM EDT
I think I am going to be giving KDE a try again here shortly. I keep saying that but I really don't want to do a kde-full on my production machine....maybe my laptop which doesn't have any critical stuff on it. I just have to remember which two services are dragging it down. I can't remember them because they have such stupid names.

Anaconda and steampunk....something like that.

Oh....we are talking Linux Devs....never mind.
Fettoosh

Jun 11, 2012
8:57 PM EDT
Ken,

I agree about the weird names (Nepomuk, Strigi, Anokadi). I had to do a Google search to find the correct names and I am a avid KDE user.

But when you start using KDE 4, you will forget about the stupid names, it is that good. -:)

claudecat

Jun 11, 2012
9:10 PM EDT
Nepomuk and akonadi - both easily disabled with minimal effort/google-fu. And yes, I agree Fettoosh - it IS that good, and getting better all the time.

lol @ anaconda and steampunk!
gus3

Jun 11, 2012
9:17 PM EDT
@Fettoosh, you may find in these archives that Ken considers off-the-wall names to be totally inappropriate. Considering his target audience, he has a point. And those who disagree with him have a name that is a common meme on Slashdot.
Fettoosh

Jun 11, 2012
9:27 PM EDT
Quoting:both easily disabled with minimal effort/google-fu.

Yes it is easy, and I had them disabled for a long time now. But that doesn't mean I won't activate them in the near future. It seems all of the problems that were causing the system to crawl are fixed.

claudecat

Jun 11, 2012
10:22 PM EDT
Yeah, I mostly disable them out of habit now... I really don't notice a difference unless I'm using my netbook.
caitlyn

Jun 11, 2012
10:33 PM EDT
I've been impressed with KDE 4.8.2/4.8.3. Yes, with the right distro they even run well on my netbook, even with nepomuk enabled. I usually keep it disabled and usually stick with a lighter desktop but when my mom was in town I made sure she had a nice, friendly KDE desktop to work with.

So, yeah, I agree with most on this thread. The names are weird but the software is good.
shem

Jun 12, 2012
1:30 AM EDT
Speaking of names: Then there are those programs that have sensible names in repositories, but after installation it's impossible to guess what command to use to start it from cli. My favorite example is 'gnome-disk-utility' in repositories and gui-menu, but from cli it's 'palimpsest'!?

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!