Some very important insight...

Story: Open Source Languages - Pros and ConsTotal Replies: 12
Author Content
jacog

Jun 11, 2012
8:27 AM EDT
OK, made you click! Seriously, this thread is just a decoy, to encourage y'all to talk about ANYTHING but that dreadful article.

So how about that Prometheus? Was perfectly watchable, but somehow expected it to be less all over the place.

mbaehrlxer

Jun 11, 2012
8:59 AM EDT
no time to go to the movies these days. the wikipedia description says the movie was originally sort of a prequel to the "alien" movies. does that come out in the movie? i avoided "alien" because i don't care for horror...

greetings, eMBee.
penguinist

Jun 11, 2012
9:01 AM EDT
We saw it in IMAX 3D. In my opinion, the spectacular special effects made up for the weak story line.
jdixon

Jun 11, 2012
9:38 AM EDT
> no time to go to the movies these days.

Yeah. The last time I went to a movie theater was something like Star Trek IV. It's been a while.
number6x

Jun 11, 2012
10:10 AM EDT
How about scripting languages?

My first open source language was English. The script for Prometheus was written in it. Many movies use English for their scripting language, but it is not the only language available. There are a huge number of open source languages available that are used for scripting movies.

I think closed source scripting languages for movies have been complete failures in the market place.
tuxchick

Jun 11, 2012
10:12 AM EDT
I'm the person you don't want to watch movies with. If it has dumb mistakes or substitutes explosions for a good story and interesting characters, I just have to mention it. A lot.
jacog

Jun 11, 2012
10:22 AM EDT
number6x - but which version of English? I heard that people have modified it over the years. Certainly an impediment if you don't even know what version it is.
gus3

Jun 11, 2012
11:38 AM EDT
English is a case study in the dangers of fragmentation.
number6x

Jun 11, 2012
12:49 PM EDT
Of course they've modified it. Its Open Source, that is the whole point.

Your comment brings to mind the release of Mad Max in the USA. They dubbed the character's voices from AU English to US English. Of course they used voice artists who were professionals at dubbing. Peter Fernandez (voice of Speed Racer) was the police chief's voice.

gus3

Jun 11, 2012
2:19 PM EDT
And "The Gods Must Be Crazy." And "Hercules in New York."
Scott_Ruecker

Jun 11, 2012
3:17 PM EDT
Its another Chest burster movie..NOT interested, no matter the special effects. If I had sensed anything new in the plot or storyline..I might have been interested..

helios

Jun 11, 2012
7:01 PM EDT
I just have to mention it. A lot.

Carla, you and I could never attend a public movie house together. We'd be thrown out after the first ten minutes.

Besides, it was years and years ago that I walked out of a movie because I realized they were showing me the same lame fscking commercials I had seen the night before on television.

10 bucks for a ticket and I have to watch 8-10 minutes of commercials?

Nope....bit torrent and fastpasstv.ms are my friend.

and another nit to pick.....

If you are going to use coffee cups to portray an actor drinking coffee, at least put some liquid in them and teach the actors to actually allow their adams apple to move while they fake drink. The worst offender, while on TV and not the movies is one of my favorites, NCIS. The cups are obviously empty. It must be an actors guild thing to promote safety or something of that nature.
BernardSwiss

Jun 11, 2012
7:47 PM EDT
@tuxchick, helios

Preach it!

I can't believe how tolerant the general public has become to both those things.

I blame it on modern technology, and pray that even more modern technology will drive them out again. People who can stay home for as good an experience will eventually get fed up with 20+ minutes of ear-blasting, retina-bleaching adverts, and people who have technology that was too futuristic to "sell" in Star Trek, will get bored of the special effects and start demanding little flourishes -- stuff like plotting, character, background and logical consistency.

At least, that's what I keep telling myself, while waiting for my friends, reading a good book in the theatre lobby...

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!