New headline suggestion

Story: Dangerous Concessions: Red Hat, Fedora and the Secure Boot ShockerTotal Replies: 3
Author Content
andyprough

Jun 11, 2012
11:36 PM EDT
"Big Linux company happily pays $99-tax and gladly lets M$ handle the problem of the desktop consumer OS market; prefers to sell cloud computer storage and headless server maintenance contracts to Fortune 500 companies"
caitlyn

Jun 12, 2012
2:12 AM EDT
Where is your wildly inaccurate quote from?
vainrveenr

Jun 12, 2012
10:41 AM EDT
Quoting:"Big Linux company happily pays $99-tax and gladly lets M$ handle the problem of the desktop consumer OS market; prefers to sell cloud computer storage and headless server maintenance contracts to Fortune 500 companies"

While this suggested headline may or may not be "wildly inaccurate", most headlines appear to be much shorter even with their subtitles. And yet shorter headlines can and do effect similar sentiments as this particular quote using solely their more concise main titles. Note that the original LinuxInsider piece has a concise main title of precisely ten words, rather than the above headline suggestion 3.5 times as verbose.

andyprough

Jun 12, 2012
3:55 PM EDT
@Caitlyn Martin - the material was a suggested headline, not a quote.

Please advise - which part is wild, and which part is inaccurate? How many "self-support" $49 desktop subscriptions do you think RH sold last year? Zero? Five hundred? Five thousand?

M$ sells 75-80 million copies of Windows per quarter. Am I wrong? If I'm wrong, then bear with me. I think we can agree that their desktop sales are measured in many millions per year.

Why does the self-proclaimed "World's Open Source Leader" not even try to compete for this market? Because it's not where their bread is buttered. Don't expect any Linux vendor to put up a big fight over laptop and desktop boot loaders - consumer PC's pre-loaded with M$ "Metro" aren't going to get a $49 version of RH loaded on them, for the most part. There's no money there.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!