Odd to find this.

Story: Linux on the test driveTotal Replies: 3
Author Content
Ridcully

Jun 18, 2012
4:06 AM EDT
I just downloaded a copy of Linux Mint, Cinnamon, 32bit and the live CD worked......then I tried an install and eventually, it just froze. Haven't bothered to go back.

Edit: Have just realised there is a huge thread on this matter at:

http://lxer.com/module/forums/t/33268/

And I don't think I want to stick my toes into those waters at all.
helios

Jun 18, 2012
2:30 PM EDT
Nope....experienced the exact thing on 2 different machines with vastly differing hardware. Not at all happy with the Mint "community" at all right now anyway. We have over 20 of our HeliOS/Reglue kids with questions posted and of those, only two received responses.

As much as I like Mint, if the community is that broken, how can we expect the product not to be?

Just sayin'....
DrGeoffrey

Jun 18, 2012
4:02 PM EDT
Developing a new desktop, maintaining an old deprecated desktop, and working from two base distributions (Ubuntu & Debian) may be taking their toll (i.e., 'bit off more than they can chew'?). I had hoped they would drop the Ubuntu based distributions in favor of Debian, and perhaps they may still. But my guess is the cost of keeping so many kettles in the fire is stressed developers with little time to assist in the forums.
flufferbeer

Jun 18, 2012
4:25 PM EDT
> Developing a new desktop, maintaining an old deprecated desktop, and working from two base distributions (Ubuntu & Debian) may be taking their toll (i.e., 'bit off more than they can chew'?).

> But my guess is the cost of keeping so many kettles in the fire is stressed developers with little time to assist in the forums.

DrGeoffrey, Besides their overbusy developers and their "Keeping up with the Jones's" arguments ( keeping up with BOOboontu 12.04 ), I'd also guess that a certain number of the Mint support people are on vacation now. Here in the U.S., most schools such as undergraduate colleges and graduate schools are on Summer vacation, Google Summer of Code and similar Summer projects notwithstanding. Therefore, I can see how such students who have been supporting Linux Mint before, are now focusing on other Summer activities rather than on their Mint participation.

2c

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!