Mind Boggling

Story: Why Can’t Linux Crack The Desktop?Total Replies: 26
Author Content
r_a_trip

Jun 29, 2012
10:37 AM EDT
This isn't even a genuine attempt to write an informative piece. It is a mind boggling regurgitation of MS marketing FUD. It seems that Dark Duck will take any kind of copy...

Standards: Linux is more standards compliant (even within the distro menagery) than Microsoft with their own and EEE standards ever will be. OfficeOpenXML anyone?

Software: Linux has more affordable and usable software bundled by default, than MS can dream about putting in Windows. Only if your criterion is "only the exact same software as on Windows will do" does Linux have a lack of it.

Training cost: Pure bunk. People are not born with an innate Windows knowledge. It is just that there is now a large body of incumbent users who have already gained Windows knowledge. If Linux would have been first and massive, we would hear the reverse, that Windows is too expensive to train for. Then we have the fact that Windows upgrades are rolled out and these come with minimal training. Users are just supposed to cope.

This little hatchet job completely ignores the unsavory history of MS as a predatory company. The first years of windows were pretty much undercutting all others with barely good enough software and highly shady bundling with Office and anticompetive preloading deals (and a whole slew of other gory tactics). Now that MS is the biggest Gorilla in the zoo, it is about inertia, network effects and exit costs (and still some anticompetitve practises here and there. Need I mention ARM SecureBoot?) MS got where they are by being shrewd, not being afraid to bend or break the law and by devising despicable ways of locking people in and killing their competition.

The biggest reason that Linux has a desktop presence, are the people who are not content to just use software, but who also care about the implications that using a piece of software has for themselves and for their peers.
montezuma

Jun 29, 2012
11:11 AM EDT
Actually I use Linux for completely non-idealistic reasons. It is cheap. It runs faster than any other OS and finally it is worry free since very little malware exists.

As for Dark Duck well I think his blog here is superficial in the extreme. The reason Linux has not cracked the desktop is because a major corporation has not pushed it. End of story. All the reasons advanced by the Dark One are just quackery.
kikinovak

Jun 29, 2012
4:47 PM EDT
With friends like Dark Duck, Linux doesn't need enemies.
tracyanne

Jun 29, 2012
5:29 PM EDT
I notice that the only person DD responded to was a person who basically agreed with him.
Fettoosh

Jun 29, 2012
6:28 PM EDT
Quoting:The reason Linux has not cracked the desktop is because a major corporation has not pushed it. End of story.

No, the story doesn't end there. OEMs keep pushing Windows in return for MS handouts and/or arm twisting.

montezuma

Jun 29, 2012
8:25 PM EDT
Which is exactly why a major corporation is needed in order to do what MS is doing.
flufferbeer

Jun 29, 2012
11:02 PM EDT
@tracyanne, Whatever happened to Roy Schestowitz, the circular-quoting past equivalent of DD?? Roy ALSO stopped responding to comments he didn't agree with --- IIRC, almost anything to do with pro-Novell sentiments.

Just a wonderin'....

-fb
dinotrac

Jun 30, 2012
3:54 PM EDT
The remarkable part is that he completely skips over the real problem with Linux on the desktop : network effects.

Linux is no harder than Windows (maybe a scoonch harder than Mac). The best Linux software is plenty good indeed, and some of it has actually migrated into Windowsland.

But...

There's a freakin' TON of Windows software, and lots of people who use it. If you develop an attachment to your software, create templates and/or macros for it, etc, you don't want something else that does the same job, you want your software.

More to the point -- you want to ask questions of and get tips from other users.

That world is a Windows world these days.

darkduck

Jun 30, 2012
5:02 PM EDT
@kikinovak
Quoting:With friends like Dark Duck, Linux doesn't need enemies.
Let me draw your attention to the last paragraph of the linked post.
Quoting:This post is written by John Lewis...

Author's position may differ from site owner's one.
And also, I prefer my nickname to be spelt like DarkDuck. I think you understand it, Kiki Novak?

@tracyanne: You're not right. I usually very rarely reply to comments to guest posts, unless it really touches me personally. Also, please look to my reply to kikinovak.
tracyanne

Jul 01, 2012
12:02 AM EDT
@DD I had to in order to read your request that I do so.
HoTMetaL

Jul 01, 2012
8:46 AM EDT
Quoting:And also, I prefer my nickname to be spelt like DarkDuck.
Blogger annoyed by misspelling of his moniker; misspells the word "spelled."

Wow.
Fettoosh

Jul 01, 2012
12:34 PM EDT
Quoting:If you develop an attachment to your software, create templates and/or macros for it, etc, you don't want something else that does the same job, you want your software.

Very True. Let's face it, it is awfully hard to get off "cracked up" stuff, if you know what I mean.

tracyanne

Jul 02, 2012
5:48 PM EDT
@fluffer, DD is nothing at all like Roy Schestowitz. A of of his articles are wrong headed, and I would be among the first to call him on that, but to compare him to Roy Schestowitz is really unfair, and actually insulting.

In point of fact I was wrong to assume it was DD who wrote that ridiculous article. Of course he didn't defend the article by replying to me, that was the job of the articles author, who plainly realised he had written FUD, and wasn't about to stick around.
CFWhitman

Jul 03, 2012
2:49 PM EDT
Quoting:Blogger annoyed by misspelling of his moniker; misspells the word "spelled."

Wow.

If you actually look it up, you will find that "spelt" is a correct alternative form for "spelled." The English language in particular is odd like that.
jdixon

Jul 03, 2012
7:15 PM EDT
> If you actually look it up, you will find that "spelt" is a correct alternative form for "spelled."

Thank you CFWhitman. :)

Yes, spelt is a perfectly valid alternative spelling, recognized by Merriam Webster: From http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/spelt %5B2%5D:

Definition of SPELT chiefly British past and past participle of spell

And yes, potatoe is a recognized variant spelling of potato for those old enough to remember that kerfuffle, though I don't believe it's in any current dictionaries.
HoTMetaL

Jul 04, 2012
5:49 AM EDT
I stand corrected! But I've gotta add, though, folks who routinely type words like "spelt" generally also love to type actual non-words like "prolly."

I'll prolly go to skool today. I spelt that right, no?"
jdixon

Jul 04, 2012
11:55 AM EDT
> I've gotta add, though, folks who routinely type words like "spelt" generally also love to type actual non-words like "prolly."

What part of it being a chiefly British spelling did you miss? Or are you accusing the entire British Isles of not being able to spell now?

BernardSwiss

Jul 04, 2012
1:56 PM EDT
Well, you recall why Eliza Doolittle was determined to be Hungarian? Her English was just too good for her to be a native speaker.
caitlyn

Jul 05, 2012
3:47 AM EDT
DarkDuck still gets the blame for publishing this nonsense in his blog.
JaseP

Jul 05, 2012
9:50 AM EDT
He ought to put a disclaimer at the top of any article he didn't write himself, with the author's name and a brief statement that the opinions in the article are the author's alone...
r_a_trip

Jul 05, 2012
10:45 AM EDT
He ought to put a disclaimer at the top of any article he didn't write himself, with the author's name and a brief statement that the opinions in the article are the author's alone...

That or he could be more careful about the copy he accepts for publication on his blog. According to DD he wants to write about Linux and from what I've read, he seems to want to do this constructively. As such, putting randomly written, third party FUD on his blog is not doing him any favors.
JaseP

Jul 05, 2012
10:49 AM EDT
True,... But printing an anti-Linux story once in a while helps us Linux users gain a little perspective on what others are thinking, ...
montezuma

Jul 05, 2012
12:00 PM EDT
JaseP,

Depends if the story is really representative of what others are thinking or is simply corporate propaganda.
vainrveenr

Jul 05, 2012
12:26 PM EDT
Quoting:Blogger annoyed by misspelling of his moniker; misspells the word "spelled."

Wow.
Quoting:If you actually look it up, you will find that "spelt" is a correct alternative form for "spelled." The English language in particular is odd like that.

Much more commonplace than this rarely-used form of "spelled" is the proper spelling of the grain spelt. See such fine sites as 'Spelt - An Ancient Grain', found at http://nutrition.about.com/od/grainsandcereals/p/spelt.htm

r_a_trip

Jul 05, 2012
1:18 PM EDT
@JaseP

Then he should label it at such. Without some introduction to what purpose this FUD serves it is just publishing FUD.
JaseP

Jul 05, 2012
2:42 PM EDT
@ Montezuma:

Corporate FUD is important from the perspective that it lets you know what their angle is,... It helps when trying to figure out where the axe will fall from...
jdixon

Jul 06, 2012
9:52 AM EDT
> Much more commonplace than this rarely-used form of "spelled" is the proper spelling of the grain spelt...

Your reading list obviously doesn't match mine. Spelt is very common in the books I've read.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!