Gimme Win8....NOT !!

Story: Microsoft: Don't overclock Windows 8 unless you like our new BSODTotal Replies: 5
Author Content
Ridcully

Jul 03, 2012
5:49 PM EDT
Just sent a message to a friend of mine tied to a link on the article: "Aren't you racing to get your copy of Win8 as soon as it hits the stands ?"

I am afraid to say his response was simple: "LOL." Looks Microsoft wants to duplicate its WinXP experience in that users will not move to rubbish.......and Win8 becomes Vista MkII......probably.
tuxchick

Jul 03, 2012
6:09 PM EDT
Best comment to the article:

Quoting: Re: Make sure you do not have hot pockets

No, have ramen noodles instead.
BernardSwiss

Jul 03, 2012
7:37 PM EDT
This report struck me as an excellent example of the difference between ' data ' and ' information ' ...

r_a_trip

Jul 04, 2012
4:05 AM EDT
Based on some Microsoft research, though, it seems you could be seeing more of the Windows 8 BSOD if you buy a PC from an OEM who's fiddled with the chip to make it go that little bit faster. Also, beware the temptation to buy a PC from an unrecognized PC maker.

At first I couldn't make heads or tails of the entire article. Why would MS publish any kind of research on crashes? It just reminds people of one of the many vexing niggles in Windows. I also couldn't understand that, allegedly, whitebox computers crash more than machines of major OEM's. Whitebox and OEM machine mostly use the same components and the "accusation" that whitebox builders routinely overclock is bunk.

Now that I've mulled it over a bit, it has become clear to me. MS is not interested in educating people about crashes. They are interested in steering people towards the big brandname OEM's. Presumably, whitebox computers will not contain MS' secureboot key (forcing Win8 to behave as a normal OS) and most probably the motherboards used in whitebox systems will contain a user configurable UEFI including the option of managing keys.

MS can't have that. They haven't spent all these years training the HP's and Dell's of this world to walk in lockstep by way of ad rebates, just to have the unwashed masses flee to the small computer makers for real computers. "They will buy our toaster appliances, darn it!"
Ridcully

Jul 04, 2012
5:55 AM EDT
@ r_a_trip.....that's rather a nice hypothesis, and could very well be the underlying reason.

Microsoft (as I personally understand their amoral business principles) would have no hesitation in applying any technique if it gave them more leverage in the IT world. Judging by some recent articles I have seen dealing with Microsoft share price, innovation, the onslaught of Android in the smartphone/pad area with rejection of Winphones, and finally the "age of the Redmond empire" which is seen by some as entering the sunset years...I think they may need all the leverage they can get; especially if Win8 is the heap of (insert suitable noun here) that the reviewers seem to think it is.
caitlyn

Jul 05, 2012
3:56 AM EDT
Quoting:. MS is not interested in educating people about crashes. They are interested in steering people towards the big brandname OEM's. Presumably, whitebox computers will not contain MS' secureboot key (forcing Win8 to behave as a normal OS) and most probably the motherboards used in whitebox systems will contain a user configurable UEFI including the option of managing keys.

MS can't have that.
That sounds like a reasonable hypothesis to me as well.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!