Yet again, only Ubuntu = Linux

Story: Na’Tosha and Levi tell us why Unity3D is supporting LinuxTotal Replies: 4
Author Content
djohnston

Jul 05, 2012
3:37 AM EDT
Nevat asks:

Quoting:1. When you say “Linux”… what distributions are supported ? Only Ubuntu?

2. Well be possible, in future versions, to work with the Editor in a Linux system ? (aka “port the application).

Na'Tosha Bard replies:

Quoting:@Nevat:

1. Players exported from Unity will run out of the box on most modern Linux systems, but we are only providing *official* support for 64-bit or 32-bit Ubuntu Linux with vendor-made graphics drivers.

2. We currently have no plans or commitments to port the editor to Linux.

And that title, again, reads "Na’Tosha and Levi tell us why Unity3D is supporting Linux". Well, I keep forgetting that to some people, only Ubuntu qualifies as being "Linux".

caitlyn

Jul 05, 2012
3:42 AM EDT
*sigh* Yeah, that's still common for a lot of stuff I read. I don't like Ubuntu and I really don't think they are the best distro for much of anything. Until they can fix bugs within a release cycle and keep the regressions and issues down to a level seen in some other distros I could name then the whole Ubuntu = Linux thing will remain an anathema to me.
jacog

Jul 05, 2012
7:37 AM EDT
Well, one of their goals is to provide their customers access to the Humble Indie Bundles, and I doubt Humble would allow Ubuntu-only binaries. Also, it's just a development platform. The developers using Unity3D to create content can still package the resulting binaries in any way they wish.
BernardSwiss

Jul 05, 2012
8:01 PM EDT
I'm actually out of my depth here, but I can't help getting the impression that this is a classic example of using the wrong tools for the right job.
jacog

Jul 06, 2012
4:09 AM EDT
Bernard - Unity3D is a very slick piece of software with a big community of developers. It's also a develop once / deploy many places type thing, making it very convenient for small game developers who want to reach as many customers as possible. .

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!