I put down my $99...

Story: OUYA: A $99 Android Linux Game ConsoleTotal Replies: 3
Author Content
JaseP

Jul 11, 2012
1:56 PM EDT
I put down my $99 for this... Reasons?!?! Easy,...Runs Linux at its core (Android,... but hey, still a Linux kernel), and it's OPEN,... as in hack-away... Can't get much better than that,... and blows away some competing devices in specs.
jacog

Jul 12, 2012
4:12 AM EDT
I've backed about 9 Kickstarter projects over the past three months, and need to cut back some on this weird "throw money at stuff" compulsion. :P But I am glad this is doing so well. It has potential. I also knew nothing about Tegra until this - very interesting.
JaseP

Jul 12, 2012
8:41 AM EDT
The Tegra is the make or break for this... The Rasberry PI and the like are all using lesser processor/GPU combos. With a Tegra quad core, this thing is on par with the best Android tablets out there.

I really think (versus my previously held position) that Intel's hegemony on computing is about to be broken. I believe that low end notebooks and small, limited use desktop machines, as well as embeded mini-servers could move more and more to ARM,... especially if they support virtualization in the future (several OS instances concurrently).

I'm constantly impressed with the performance of my Acer Iconia A500 vs. my Atom & Celeron netbooks. And the A500 is "just" a dual core.

helios

Jul 12, 2012
12:19 PM EDT
LOL, point taken. At Reglue, saying "just a dual core" is like saying "just a Maserati".

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!