Spare me from ZDNet.....

Story: Linux Mint 13 KDE released: But does it live up to expectations?Total Replies: 18
Author Content
helios

Jul 26, 2012
10:03 AM EDT
The article isn't bad...but Lord Almighty, the Linux Vs Windows comments completely destroy it. Comments on anything submitted for a Linux article on ZDNet devolve into flamewar immediately. I got through about 6 posts then closed the page.

Seriously though....what seems to be the aversion with including Gimp 2.8 in many of these new releases? It wouldn't be so bad but it's not even in the repos as an upgrade. Not at all sure what's going on there at all. The last time I looked, (about 2 weeks ago) there wasn't even an Ubuntu or Debian installer for it yet, you had to compile for yourself.

I am running the latest Mint KDE on a test machine now (we talked about it on my rant about KDE search) and it works great. Still, after all the crying about no unified workspace for Gimp, and finally getting it....I am mystified why it's so hard to include in some fairly new releases. Maybe there is a good reason for it....
jdixon

Jul 26, 2012
10:29 AM EDT
> I am mystified why it's so hard to include in some fairly new releases...

From the July 13th Slackware-current changelog: xap/gimp-2.8.0-i486-1.txz: Upgraded.

It should be in the new version of Slackware when it comes out.
Fettoosh

Jul 26, 2012
11:33 AM EDT
Ken,

I used this procedure to install GIMP 2.8 on Kubuntu, I believe it should work for any Debian based distro.

Gimp 2.8 for Debian Based Distros

Read This obe too

And this if you have problems

helios

Jul 26, 2012
12:35 PM EDT
Fettoosh, noted. I still wonder why it's not being included as the default. It's been available long enough for both Kubuntu and Mint KDE to have it available. Just wondering aloud....
caitlyn

Jul 26, 2012
3:31 PM EDT
Quoting:It should be in the new version of Slackware when it comes out.
It is in the Slackware 14.0 beta. Having said that, Slackware is something that most typical users will avoid like the plague, and with pretty darned good reason. Most people don't want to have to get under the hood and tinker with the OS just to get it configured right.
jdixon

Jul 26, 2012
4:14 PM EDT
> Slackware is something that most typical users will avoid like the plague...

Having made it into Slackware, it will probably also make it into the various Slackware derivatives soon thereafter.

gus3

Jul 26, 2012
5:13 PM EDT
Quoting:Slackware is something that most typical users will avoid like the plague
But nobody ever accused me of being "typical." (And gotten away with it. ;-)
djohnston

Jul 26, 2012
6:53 PM EDT
Quoting:Still, after all the crying about no unified workspace for Gimp, and finally getting it....I am mystified why it's so hard to include in some fairly new releases.

I'm running 2.8.0 on PCLinuxOS. Granted, it's still in the testing section of the repos, but it is available. And the one window feature is long overdue, in my opinion. Now, if Xsane could take a hint ...
caitlyn

Jul 26, 2012
8:16 PM EDT
Back to Ken's original point: ZDNet isn't bad. They publish SJVN after all. Some of their readership is another matter.
nikkels

Jul 26, 2012
8:52 PM EDT
Just like djohnston, I am running Gimp 2.8 in PCLinuxOS.
tracyanne

Jul 26, 2012
9:38 PM EDT
I'm running it on LM13 KDE
Jeff91

Jul 26, 2012
11:14 PM EDT
Installing GIMP 2.8 on Bodhi 2.0.0 is really hard:

sudo apt-get install gimp

~Jeff
helios

Jul 26, 2012
11:54 PM EDT
Jeff....Nice to know someone who can manipulate the repos.... ;-)

My fresh install of Kubuntu had the 2.6 version of Gimp.
tracyanne

Jul 27, 2012
3:25 AM EDT
ken, so did mine
shem

Jul 27, 2012
6:40 AM EDT
On Debian, version 2.8.0-2+b1 is in Sid/Unstable repositories
CFWhitman

Jul 27, 2012
9:30 AM EDT
I suspect GIMP 2.8 missed the window for inclusion in Ubuntu 12.04 based versions, and it won't arrive until 12.10. Since it is in Sid now though, you can be pretty sure it will be in 12.10. Technically, it would go against Ubuntu policy to upgrade GIMP to 2.8 before 12.10 at this point. However, there may be some chance that they will make an exception. I think they have done so once or twice in the past.
helios

Jul 27, 2012
11:45 AM EDT
@ CFWhitman....that makes sense. I didn't think of that. Thank you.

Fettoosh

Jul 27, 2012
12:07 PM EDT
Quoting:I suspect GIMP 2.8 missed the window for inclusion in Ubuntu 12.04 based versions, ...

I believe this is true of all applications that miss a certain release and that is why, among other reasons, the Launchpad.net site was created. Gimp can be found with install procedure here

This is something I very much like about K/Ubuntu: resources, contributions, and documentation.

Steven_Rosenber

Jul 27, 2012
2:40 PM EDT
Gimp 2.8 is in Debian Wheezy. I've been using it for a couple of weeks.

http://packages.debian.org/wheezy/gimp

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!