While I'm optomistic

Story: Windows 8 vs Linux Games: Software Developer War or Empty Words?Total Replies: 6
Author Content
tracyanne

Jul 30, 2012
5:41 PM EDT
I suspect, based on past performance, that the apparently hopeful signs, for Linux, are really just posturing to get a better deal with Microsoft. Hopefully Microsoft will stick to their guns and not give any of these companies any special deals... and maybe christmas will come early.
Koriel

Jul 31, 2012
4:57 AM EDT
@ta

I have pretty much the same concerns that this may be just to get MS to open up a bit and once they do it will be bye bye Linux hello Mr Ballmer.

It would be a great xmas if Valve are truly serious about this but even in their own words they are "hedging their bets".
jacog

Jul 31, 2012
5:29 AM EDT
I doubt Microsoft would open up. They don't really care about the loss of gaming vendors that sell on Windows since they aren't making any money there. The walled garden would feed into their ultimate goal - to be able to make money out of every piece of software on their OS.
CFWhitman

Jul 31, 2012
9:42 AM EDT
It's not Windows 8 that's a problem for Valve from the distribution viewpoint because Steam works fine on Windows 8. The problem is that Windows 8 looks like it could be the first step toward 'Metro as the new Windows.' If legacy Windows is gradually phased out in favor of Metro, then Steam becomes obsolete on Microsoft operating systems. As long as legacy Windows is kept available, there will be a place for Steam on Windows, although there will be competition from Microsoft's own application store.

Regardless of how things turn out with Windows, though, this is more than a token effort to pressure Microsoft. Valve is putting altogether too much effort into the Linux push for them not to be serious about it. It's not how Microsoft responds that will ultimately decide whether they continue the efforts. It's how the market for Steam games develops in Linux. As long as Linux desktop use continues to climb, it's likely that Valve will continue to increase Linux support. If it climbs quickly, then they will ramp up support. If it climbs slowly, then their efforts will probably be more half-hearted.

This ignores another possibility, though. There are rumors that Valve is going to bring out a Linux based console for a dedicated Steam client. If this actually happens, then Valve's efforts will be linked to the success of that platform as well as general Linux desktop use.
Fettoosh

Jul 31, 2012
11:49 AM EDT
Quoting:There are rumors that Valve is going to bring out a Linux based console for a dedicated Steam client.

If that is not in the works already, you just gave them an excellent idea/option to take their business to a new level.

jdixon

Jul 31, 2012
11:55 AM EDT
> I'm optomistic...

It's those bewitching eyes. :)

> ...you just gave them an excellent idea/option to take their business to a new level.

We can hope.
BernardSwiss

Jul 31, 2012
8:16 PM EDT
The big problem isn't (from Valve/Steam perspective) the Windows 6/Metro OS. They can deal with that the same way(s) they always have.

The BIG problem is the Windows 8/Metro business model -- that directly threatens their revenues.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!