PCLOS forums were always weird

Story: Saying Goodbye To PCLOSTotal Replies: 10
Author Content
tuxchick

Aug 07, 2012
11:17 AM EDT
It's always been random whether you could get a login to the PCLOS forums. I remember trying a couple of times and never getting a response of any kind. Then I wrote a positive review of PCLOS and all of a sudden I was a beloved community member.
claudecat

Aug 07, 2012
11:31 AM EDT
The PCLOS community may be the strangest group in linux. Rabid yet exclusive, playful yet intolerant... to say nothing of the usernames of the mainstays. Without texstar more actively engaged, it's just not that compelling anymore.
nikkels

Aug 07, 2012
10:04 PM EDT
@ tuxchick >>>>t's always been random whether you could get a login to the PCLOS forums.

Sorry to be rude, but you are talking cr@p. I am a user there for 6 years, and never had a problem, I log in 10 times a day. >>>>>I remember trying a couple of times and never getting a response of any kind Yes, this happens often, dependent on what you post. Please give example . >>>>Then I wrote a positive review of PCLOS and all of a sudden I was a beloved community member....link please, I love positive reviews.

@claudecat >>>>Without texstar more actively engaged, it's just not that compelling anymore. Not sure what you mean exactly. I am running , and typing from it , the latest release. it's kernel 3.2.18-pclos2.bfs, Firefox 14, thunderbird 14, VLC 2,01, audacious 3.1 etc etc That is for both 32bit and 64bit

Texstar is there as always. The only difference is that the workload has been redistributed from one man to a team of (x) people.

tuxchick

Aug 07, 2012
10:19 PM EDT
never mind, consider this deleted.
nikkels

Aug 07, 2012
10:36 PM EDT
Sigh. I deleted too.
caitlyn

Aug 08, 2012
7:08 PM EDT
tuxchick, claudecat: How dare you, or the author for that matter, challenge the holy writ of PCLinuxOS? Clearly, as faithful acolyte nikkels has shown, you need to repent your sins and understand that PCLinuxOS is the one true operating system. It's compelling, it's perfect, and any deficiencies are your own shortcomings.

Disclaimer: I have NEVER liked PCLinuxOS.
tuxchick

Aug 08, 2012
10:23 PM EDT
I like nikkels, and that is more important than arguing over what happened in the PCLOS forums.
caitlyn

Aug 09, 2012
1:10 AM EDT
I don't have anything against nikkels personally. Honestly, I don't. He's probably are very nice and decent person.

What I am sick and tired of is fanbois who cannot tolerate any criticism of their favorite distro and that's what I read in his post. "It works for me" does not lessen your very valid criticism or the same complaint in the article. When claudecat says he doesn't find PCLOS compelling the nikkels response is to list things found in most all general purpose distros. What's compelling about that? To me compelling means setting the distro apart from the crowd.

I know Andrew Wyatt (fewt) is persona non grata here but just take a look at how he responded to Jesse Smith's rather mixed review of Fuduntu on DistroWatch. He was professional. He acknowledged the issues and acknowledged that work either was in progress or needed to be done. That's the response I would expect and that's what we need more of in the Linux community. What we don't need is more wagon circling and shooting the messenger when the message is not what the fans want to read.
tuxchick

Aug 09, 2012
1:37 AM EDT
None of that is worth arguing to the death over, and not getting the last word is most often neither injurious nor debilitating.
nikkels

Aug 09, 2012
2:02 AM EDT
@caitlyn

I don't know in which country you stay or what your native language is, but I think you should do something about your English.

You. When claudecat says he doesn't find PCLOS compelling the nikkels response is to list things found in most all general purpose distros.

Me. >>Not sure what you mean exactly. I interpreted it as < not up to date or shaky >. Therefore, I mentioned where the distro is today, regardless if you can see it or not.

You. To me compelling means setting the distro apart from the crowd

Me. Yes, you are right. And that's why I am there already for over 6 years, and despite all the distro hopping behind the scenes, I am still there. It is compelling to me.

You. What I am sick and tired of is fanbois who cannot tolerate any criticism of their favorite distro and that's what <I> read in his post.

Me. yes, that's why I said to fix up your English. There's a difference between reading and understanding.

You He was profession. ??

You. That's the response I would expect

Me. Keep dreaming.

There is more, but since I am in a good mood, I will stop here.

And if you want to respond that I should fix up my English too, yes, you are right. I should.

Now I am out of here for a few weeks. Enjoy your sharp tongue . Life is short .

caitlyn

Aug 09, 2012
9:09 PM EDT
You found one typo (profession instead of professional) and attack my English for it? Hmmm... I get paid nicely for some of my writing, all of which is in English. You really don't like the message so you attack the messenger.

Oh, I could say more too, but I'd probably get banned if I said what I really thought of you. Have fun being away. You won't be missed.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!