it may kill apple

Story: Will Android kill Windows 8 on the desktop?Total Replies: 6
Author Content
Alcibiades

Aug 08, 2012
3:18 PM EDT
If Apple really does follow SJ's emotional rant in policy terms, it could actually sink them. Apple cannot benefit from a death struggle with Google over Android. It will be a disaster. I have always felt that this time around, as the first time around, it will be the Apple culture that is Apple's real enemy.
JaseP

Aug 08, 2012
4:52 PM EDT
They're already trying to benefit,... taking OEMs to court all over the world,... They're only hurting the US economy with all this,... Otherwise, they could lobby against software patents, and support innovation and simply profit on their design aesthetics ... But No... They chose to destroy rather than build... Pity.
cr

Aug 08, 2012
6:02 PM EDT
Look at it their way: their god is dead. There'll be no more miracles brought down from the mountain, so it's down to defending what they have, or Flavor-Aid.
JaseP

Aug 08, 2012
6:49 PM EDT
Their "god" is the one who started this crusade... Jobs, by the way, was either a Buddhist or an atheist, I'm inclined to go with the later. It's ironic you would call him a "god."
caitlyn

Aug 08, 2012
7:03 PM EDT
There's been a desktop version of Android since almost the beginning. That is nothing new even if the author doesn't know about it. What would be new is a multiuser Android that is actually marketed for the PC desktop.

Regarding Steve Jobs, the quote in the article tells it all: "I will spend my last dying breath if I need to, and I will spend every penny of Apple’s $40 billion in the bank, to right this wrong. I’m going to destroy Android, because it’s a stolen product. I’m willing to go thermonuclear war on this.”

Patent wars will continue between these two and Microsoft into the foreseeable future.

I also don't believe Windows 8, or anything else for that matter, will kill Microsoft on the desktop anytime soon.
skelband

Aug 08, 2012
8:23 PM EDT
@caitlyn: "I also don't believe Windows 8, or anything else for that matter, will kill Microsoft on the desktop anytime soon."

I agree. I feel a certain sympathy for the slower death of Microsoft's monopoly over the longer term for a number of different reasons.

We see Microsoft trying to screw others over with Windows 8 regarding app delivery. So people will generally stick with Windows 7 or XP, whichever they have at the moment.

What is really interesting, in this context, is Valve's play into the Linux market and their most recent venture into non-game apps in Steam. This may be the real reason why Valve are not too keen on Windows 8 as they see MS muscling in on their Steam delivery system by the Apple-esque gateway to app delivery that MS would like to impose.

gus3

Aug 09, 2012
7:00 PM EDT
I can easily see so many worthless patent lawsuits creating a "preference cascade"... against the corp's and their patents. How long before some corporation gets labeled as a "vexatious litigator"?

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!