Quick question

Story: Nokia straps Qt into ejector seat and hits the shiny red buttonTotal Replies: 10
Author Content
Ridcully

Aug 09, 2012
5:11 PM EDT
Can anybody tell me how much, if any, this affects KDE ?
Fettoosh

Aug 09, 2012
5:30 PM EDT
If Digia keeps the same type of current license for any development beyond Qt 5, it won't have any affect at all.

But if it releases any new developed features/code under a license other than GPL/LGPL, it will be restrictive and there will be divergence between the commercial & GPL releases. In such case, FOSS developers will have to compensate for any lost development resources.

Other than that, KDE is pretty safe. More Info Here

tracyanne

Aug 09, 2012
6:59 PM EDT
This http://dot.kde.org/2012/08/09/digia-committed-thriving-qt-ec... might answer the question.
BFM

Aug 09, 2012
10:17 PM EDT
I believe you will find an agreement about the QT toolkit allows the KDE project to fork Qt if it ever goes commercial and tries to lock out its open source roots. It was part of the legalese agreed to when it was sold to Nokia which in turn go back to the Gnome - KDE argument of around 2000. At that time Troltech promised Qt would always be GPL or LGPL for any non-commercial use. The Nokia agreement just continues that.
Ridcully

Aug 10, 2012
12:07 AM EDT
Thanks everybody. That article on tracyanne's post pretty much says the lot. I am also pleased the new entity holding interest is Finnish. It might make up a tiny bit for the disaster (in my opinion anyhow) that Nokia has become.
gus3

Aug 10, 2012
4:25 PM EDT
Not just your opinion. It's only a matter of time until even Ballmer can't pretend it's all peachy.
cr

Aug 10, 2012
4:58 PM EDT
I think Elop has given us a new exemplar for "viral management".
Ridcully

Aug 10, 2012
5:25 PM EDT
@cr....LOL !! Would you mind not posting text like that while I am trying to have a cup of tea.....laughing and drinking together are not "good things". Thoroughly agree. The tainted hand of Redmond never alters in its effects on business involved: induce, traduce, destroy.
gus3

Aug 10, 2012
5:46 PM EDT
Induce, traduce, antiduce.

(The opposite of "produce.")
Ridcully

Aug 10, 2012
6:40 PM EDT
Aha......Italian flavoured Redmond. (Perhaps "illduce"?)
cr

Aug 10, 2012
8:00 PM EDT
No, that's our new government.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!