nice work

Story: Devs Cast Net to Capture Nautilus ImprovementsTotal Replies: 4
Author Content
tuxchick

Aug 10, 2012
12:53 PM EDT
Good article, Ken, good on you and everyone stepping up to rescue Gnome from itself.
BernardSwiss

Aug 10, 2012
8:15 PM EDT
So. Let me get this straight:

The Gnome Shell devs, AFTER changing over to a full-screen, one-app-at-a-time interface (and too bad if you think you want or maybe need more than one window at a time), THEN decide they want to switch the file-manager to a single-pane-only paradigm?

Seriously?

in reminds me of this famous quote:
General Kurt von Hammerstein-Equord wrote:

I divide my officers into four classes; the clever, the lazy, the diligent, and the stupid. Usually two characteristics are combined.

Some are clever and diligent -- their place is the General Staff. Use can be made of those who are stupid and lazy -- they make up 90 percent of every army and are suited to routine duties. The man who is clever and lazy however is for the very highest command; he possesses the intellectual clarity and the composure necessary for difficult decisions. But one must beware of anyone who is stupid and industrious -- he must not be entrusted with any responsibility because he will always cause only mischief.
slacker_mike

Aug 10, 2012
11:51 PM EDT
@tuxchick, I don't believe people can save Gnome from itself, unless those people have deep enough pockets to steer development in a more sane direction. As I mentioned in a previous comment, I don't know how viable these forks/hacks will be long-term.
helios

Aug 11, 2012
3:14 AM EDT
Recent news is that Ikey Doherty has teamed with the Mint folks to combine their talents to this end. Doherty is just one guy, working a job and trying to produce a distro that brings Gnome 2 funtionality back using Gnome 3 technolgy. He realizes that :just one guy" can't do it all and I am glad to see egos put aside to make this work. Doherty has written some pretty neat patches for Nautilus but with Mint forking Nautilus in Nemo, Ikey combined his work with Nemo.

I think Mint is going to be around for a long, long time.....when they choose to work with outside developers, it can only lead to good things..

As far as I can see anyway.
JaseP

Aug 13, 2012
11:58 AM EDT
@BernardSwiss:

I love that quote...

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!