Correction: This is the 2.4 release and not 2.3.

Story: Announcement: RapidDisk (rxdsk) 2.4 Stable releaseTotal Replies: 6
Author Content
pkoutoupis

Aug 10, 2012
1:50 PM EDT
I had incorrectly typed 2.3 instead of the correct 2.4
tracyanne

Aug 10, 2012
7:32 PM EDT
Fixed... Another small service from downunder
pkoutoupis

Aug 11, 2012
7:43 AM EDT
Awesome! Thank you very much. :-D
tuxchick

Aug 11, 2012
4:14 PM EDT
You know what would be uber helpful? To post a one- or two-sentence summary of what RapidDisk is and what it does in every announcement. I wish all FOSS projects would do this.
Fettoosh

Aug 11, 2012
4:46 PM EDT
Quoting: I wish all FOSS projects would do this

Excellent point TC. Sort of like what KDE.org does on the front page when there is an update to any one of its applications. Scroll down and to the left to see some samples.

Example: "Stupid file browser menu"
A simple file browser that lives in the systray.
Features: Browse the local file system. Open files
by clicking on them. (!) Open a directory in
 your file manager by [b]middle-clicking[...
Which by the way enables very quick access to files using hierarchical browsing with one click and cursor moves without having to open a full fledged file manager... very handy & interesting.

djohnston

Aug 11, 2012
5:25 PM EDT
@pkoutoupis,

Reading from the RapidDisk main page, I see this:

Quoting:The rxdsk module has been designed to allocate from the system's memory pages (as it needs it and not all at once during creation) ...

Does that mean that the ramdisk is dynamically sized and resized to be only as large as the sum of the ramdisk's contents? Just like an Amiga ramdisk? If so, that is fantastic!

pkoutoupis

Aug 13, 2012
9:46 AM EDT
@tuxchick

You make an excellent point and I will be sure to do that from now on. Thank you very much for the advise.

@djohnston

I already replied to your mail, but I will also post the reply here for everyone else to see:

"That is exactly what that means. According to the block subsystem, on volume size queries, it will only return the created size of the volume. That is, if you create a 2GB ramdisk, it will always report a 2GB size, but if that same 2GB volume only has 100 MB of data in it, it will only consume 100 MB of system memory and add more memory pages as you write more data to it."

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!