tracyanne

Aug 12, 2012
5:24 PM EDT
and I think valid point.
cr

Aug 12, 2012
6:20 PM EDT
But ultimately futile either way.

Steam is a working system. Making it available on Linux means porting its front end to Linux and thus adding Linux to the client-list, not pushing over the whole thing. *buntu has enough Linux-share to be a convergence point, making the port a worthwhile investment because it'll let lots more players in: they're covering lots of user tastes with that one port.

It's a closed system, though, one that makes money. No way is Valve going to rip open their commerce backend just to plug in Mark's Market so he can make money from it too. They're porting to the OS, not the ecosystem.

I think, if it works, it'll help Linux gaming anyway. A closed system like that is a finite attractor (what you see is all you get, but folks are shelling out real cash for that already; if you build it, they're at least breathing hard) and an exemplar ("Games do work on Linux, see?") with a disproportionate reach because Steam is already popular outside the Linux world. People who install Ubuntu to run Steam will be more likely to install other games to go with it, games which come from other sources including Mark's Market. People who are fed up with Microsoft's leeching ways already will be more likely to dual-boot Linux rather than go to Win8 even if the rest of their computing day is hardcore Windows. Even if it's just a game-console OS to them at first, most of us have seen how convenience is a low-level but persistent force for changeover, so it'll have a gradual impact beyond gaming.
flufferbeer

Aug 12, 2012
11:07 PM EDT
@cr

Nah, not necessarily good for steamed linux users other than those already trapped into the Baboontu/Loonity-pushing marketing juggernaut.

2c
jacog

Aug 13, 2012
1:39 AM EDT
Although the point of this article seams to be that Steam for Linux will harm sales through the the Ubuntu Software Centre. I don't see how this could happen, considering that the USC is essentially the package manager front end, so users are going to use it regardless of what third party stores there happen to be.
tuxchick

Aug 13, 2012
11:03 AM EDT
Lunduke? This is the Linux Tycoon developer, the one who said he would open the code only if he got enough donations. He's said some "interesting" things over the years about FOSS that have not impressed me.
skelband

Aug 13, 2012
12:07 PM EDT
Valve have made it pretty clear that Ubuntu is just the most convenient start point and they intend to increase the cover to other non-Ubuntu-base distros.

Tying themselves to the Ubuntu Software Centre makes absolutely no sense for Valve.

Besides, Steam is about a lot more than just software delivery and installation.
patrokov

Aug 15, 2012
10:32 AM EDT
Personally I can't wait for Steam on Linux. I really only use Windows (at home) for two things: games and copying DVDs/Blu-Rays.

Valve has been actively trying to free developers from DirectX and get video card manufacturers to open their drivers. As skelband says, Steam on Ubuntu is just a first step.
Koriel

Aug 15, 2012
4:21 PM EDT
Im also in the this is very good for Linux camp, the only reason I have Windows is for gaming if true AAA native gaming becomes possible and popular on Linux then that's a good thing and I can wave goodbye to the Windows box finally.

In my view its the only thing holding Linux back and and is I believe the major reason that Linux has never had the success it deserves on the desktop. The number of times I have been asked by Windows users who are considering switching to Linux if their games will run on it and then I have to tell them in simple terms that no they won't, at which point ending any chance of them switching. Well I don't have enough appendages to count them all and i'm damn sure i'm not the only one.

Valve's decision to support Ubuntu first is very wise from a development point of view even though i'm no fan of the Shuttleworth crowd. But once its working reliably on Ubuntu it wiil effectively become available for all the buntu flavours including Mint and just a matter of time before it appears on non-buntu distro's.

As to Shuttleworths software store well to be honest I couldn't give a monkeys about it as I never use it and never will and if it has to die because it can't compete with Steam well that's evolution in action, will it be a bad thing for Linux errm the simple answer is nope.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!