Journalistic Sensationalism

Story: Fedora 17 KDE Beefy Miracle: is Fedora in decline?Total Replies: 7
Author Content
Fettoosh

Aug 15, 2012
11:22 AM EDT
I refuse to read articles with such titles. May be they will stop doing that when enough people do the same.

I might be missing on some good points, but in this case, I don't think so.

smallboxadmin

Aug 15, 2012
11:46 AM EDT
@Fettoosh The article has very little if anything to do with the title. It's just another Live CD review, which whose (little) value has been discussed here before.

Quoting:...unfortunately, at the same time I need to note that, from my point of view, Fedora 17 KDE is worse than version 16 of the same operating system. I encountered more issues running this release in Live session, than I did before. Does it mean that Fedora is in decline?

I guess the author assumes that because he feels 17 is worse than 16, Fedora is in decline. A rather funny assumption, but not uncommon for this author. The article would need to be coherent to be sensationalist.
Koriel

Aug 15, 2012
12:32 PM EDT
Agreed about the headline being needlessly sensationalist and pretty much unrelated to the article but he did make one valid point regarding Fedora KDE being sluggish.

I have VMware installs of Fedora KDE, Linux Mint KDE and Mageia 2 KDE and compared to Mint and Mageia 2, Fedora does appear to be a bit sluggish. Although im not sure how DD would be able to detect this on a Live install as I have always found these sluggish which is why I never make any decisions based on a live install. If it performs well in a VM then it has a good chance of being used on one of my real machines.

I have not been able to nail the Fedora problem down to anything it could be down to kernel options being used, out of the three Mageia 2 feels quicker than the rest, the menus are noticeably more responsive especially compared to Fedora even turning off the kwin compositor on Fedora makes little difference so it doesn't appear to be related to excessive graphical effects.

At the moment Mint KDE is winning as all my stuff works on it and performance is good even in a VM, it will get a proper install soon as I find the time.

Fettoosh

Aug 15, 2012
12:47 PM EDT
Thanks SBA.

Notice that the article was published on Lxer by the author himself. I believe he purposely made the summary too brief to draw any reasonable hints about the fallacious headline.

Fettoosh

Aug 15, 2012
1:04 PM EDT
Quoting: Fedora does appear to be a bit sluggish.

@Koriel,

I run Kubuntu and haven't tested Linuxmint, Mageia 2, or Fedora lately.

It could be that Fedora's implementation of KDE is not up to par, but one thing I am sure of is Distros that have OS & Applications compiled for 586 & 686 are much more responsive than Distros compiled for 386 and up so they could be used on older hardware.

That might be another reason. Is Fedora compiled for 386?

TxtEdMacs

Aug 15, 2012
3:22 PM EDT
Hey Footsie,

Just asking, however, your title is an implicit compliment for Duck(in the)Dark output. That sends me into an irritable rage ... How? How can you be so cavalier to such an individual that rejects out of hand valid critical evaluation and grasps instead to their own righteous ignorance? I have no problem correcting (in my mind) perceived errors in (U.S.) English composition, since that language is to me also foreign. However, clinging to stupidity and spouting errors without being open to correction does not warrant the courtesy of calling this blather "Journalism ... " either sensational or simply mind deadening.

I think we are too quick to give credence to the unworthy by creating these threads. Therefore, I regret this post. Not for its innate harshness, but for calling you Footsie, which I know you hate. So I apologize to you.

As always,

YBT
Fettoosh

Aug 16, 2012
12:27 PM EDT
Hay Txt, where have you been hiding? Nice to hear from again.

Quoting:Not for its innate harshness, but for calling you Footsie, which I know you hate. So I apologize to you.

Now what gave you that idea? I actually find it funny and cute nickname, appropriate from/for a cute guy. No apology is necessary. No wait, you ought to do that more often. :-)

Quoting:How can you be so cavalier to such an individual that rejects out of hand valid critical evaluation and grasps instead to their own righteous ignorance?

It is the Internet my friend, it is the Internet.

With that said, I leave you with these little nuggets, which might shed some light on this subject hoping the author of this article has the journalistic curiosity and courage to read them. I just hope he doesn't take them as encouragement to write more of such sensationalism and to remember what type of audience he is writing for.

http://mikebrandes.com/2011/07/08/dear-journalists-avoid-sen...

http://journalism.about.com/od/trends/a/Jon-Stewart-Blasts-S...

http://query.nytimes.com/mem/archive-free/pdf?res=FA0D15F835...

caitlyn

Aug 17, 2012
6:56 PM EDT
Of course Fedora is in decline. We know this because darkduck published an article today telling us that Zorin is perfect. The whole world will run Zorin now.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!