"Today's Big Story"!!??

Story: A Beginner´s Guide To Linux - The Basics You Should KnowTotal Replies: 13
Author Content
notbob

Aug 20, 2012
1:11 PM EDT
What?? A story whose title is so misleading and far off-subject as to be almost an outright lie? Please, do not misunderstand. I have no issue with the posting by DD. I learned long ago DD is even more clueless than myself and anything he states/claims is usually so far from reality as to be pretty much useless, language barrier notwithstanding. What I want to know is, who in LXer considers this piece to be "Today's Big Story". Is this some kind of inside joke? Is Scott Ruecker actually serious? In fact, Is Scott the sole voice/owner/admin, for this site? I must admit, I don't really know. Jes curious about who in LXer honestly believes, with all their heart and with all the other newsworthy posts and today being far from over, that DD's contribution is, even by the furthest stretch of the imagination, in a galaxy far-far away, in some bizarro parallel world universe, in some horrific nightmare dreamscape, --ahem-- believe in all actuality, it is "Today's Big Story".

That's all. ;)
tuxchick

Aug 20, 2012
1:16 PM EDT
I know it seems like a malignant conspiracy, notbob, but Today's Big Story is whatever story gets the most clicks. I am sorry your fellow LXerers clicked on it so much :)

Scott is the editor-in-chief, and the site is owned and controlled by Bob and Dave Whitinger. http://lxer.com/team.php
notbob

Aug 20, 2012
3:17 PM EDT
> I know it seems like a malignant conspiracy, notbob....

Not really, Carla. No more than it seems Limor Fried is an unsung hero of Linux. ;)

> Scott is the editor-in-chief, and the site is owned and controlled by Bob and Dave Whitinger.

Thank you for that information.
Steven_Rosenber

Aug 21, 2012
7:11 PM EDT
I had no idea Today's Big Story was based on clicks. Nice to know.
Koriel

Aug 21, 2012
7:57 PM EDT
I didn't know that either, I also thought it was chosen by the editor.

But I think articles should be dropped if the subject line does not even vaguely match the content which it most certainly doesn't in this case.

This is just pure click bait.

Scott_Ruecker

Aug 21, 2012
8:50 PM EDT
I have ZERO control over what is the big story of the day, it is decided on the amount of clicks it gets..or its 'popularity' as it were.

If I got to choose what the big story of the day was, I would have the title changed to "Editor's Pic".

DrGeoffrey

Aug 21, 2012
9:17 PM EDT
Scott,

That may not be all that bad of an idea.
Scott_Ruecker

Aug 21, 2012
9:37 PM EDT
Yeah but then I would get heat for picking bad stories..;-) jk
BernardSwiss

Aug 21, 2012
9:52 PM EDT
1) Rename "Today's Big Story"to "Today's Popular Story"

2) Add "Editor's Pick"

3) for bonus points, add "Today's Most Commented Story"

(If that works well, consider adding buttons for "Like" and "Raspberry" -- on 2nd thought skip the buttons, considering the "participation" that brings out for ZDNet and such-like outlets).
Fettoosh

Aug 22, 2012
10:27 AM EDT
And remember, "Today's Big/Popular Story" doesn't necessarily mean it is good worthwhile to read story.

Actually, I personally never paid attention to it, but I definitely will give attention to "Editor's Pick/Choice" story.

tuxchick

Aug 22, 2012
10:29 AM EDT
Yeah, you'll all gang up on the Editor's Pick too. "You picked THAT?? LXer has fallen to a new low!!"

I think the Today's Big Story is just fine, since you can't blame anyone but yourselves!
Fettoosh

Aug 22, 2012
11:15 AM EDT
Quoting:I think the Today's Big Story is just fine ...

That is not fair @TC, how else are we going to bash Scott now you took the most legitimate reason away? :-)

I think Scott can handle it, he lives in Arizona and the sweltering Sun toughens the skin.

Scott_Ruecker

Aug 22, 2012
12:40 PM EDT
Quoting:I think Scott can handle it, he lives in Arizona and the sweltering Sun toughens the skin.

The only state in the union where you can catch a tan on your feet..while wearing shoes.
alc

Aug 22, 2012
1:06 PM EDT
"I have ZERO control over what is the big story of the day, it is decided on the amount of clicks it gets..or its 'popularity' as it were."

So it's possible that this might be Today's Big Story :-)

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!