Don't you mean "Best Windows Keyboard Shortcuts"?

Story: Best Linux Keyboard Shortcuts Total Replies: 6
Author Content
notbob

Aug 25, 2012
10:05 AM EDT
The title pretty much says it all. These are not Linux keyboard shortcuts. These are longstanding Windows keyboard shortcuts that have been recreated in many Linux desktop environments (DE) and any previous user of Windows should be familiar with them. I'm not saying this is a bad thing. Windows did, in fact, do many good things for computing, including creating a lot of UI conventions. And, copying the Windows desktop experience certainly is a good way to make new Linux users feel at home. But, there is nothing in this article that gets down to the nitty-gritty of true native LINUX keyboard shortcuts.

Linux is not Windows! A shocking statement, but true. The native user interface of Linux is the command line interface (CLI), more specifically, the bash shell. Barring any personal customization of the bash shell, the emacs style key mapping is the default. There is almost NO correlation between Windows keystrokes and emacs keystrokes. If one chooses to use the vi style interface, it's becomes even more arcane. At one time, several online interfaces, Google being one example, used to use emacs keymapping. That has changed, not for the better, IMO.

Regardless, Linux has an entirely different mapping of its own. One great example is copying and pasting. Yes, you can still use the Windows convention of Alt-c and Alt-v in many Windows-like DEs, like KDE, but the Linux/X way is much easier and quicker. Merely left click (hold) your mouse and highlight the text to be copied, then middle click your mouse to paste. Brilliant!

I won't go into emacs and vi key mapping. That's an article unto itself. But, those are the true Linux keyboard shortcuts. Besides, with the new Unity and Android GUIs, touchscreens, etc, lord knows where those old Windows keystrokes will end up. One thing you can be sure of, bash/emacs/vi is not going anywhere, and by that I mean the command line will always be your friend. That IS Linux. ;)

nb
DrGeoffrey

Aug 25, 2012
10:17 AM EDT
Quoting:One great example is copying and pasting. Yes, you can still use the Windows convention of Alt-c and Alt-v in many Windows-like DEs, like KDE, but the Linux/X way is much easier and quicker. Merely left click (hold) your mouse and highlight the text to be copied, then middle click your mouse to paste. Brilliant!

If. you. have. a. middle. mouse. button.

Ever hear of laptop computers?

And I won't even get into the stupidity (i.e., waste of effort and time) of lifting your hands away from the keyboard to find your precious mouse.

Simple rule folks: What may work well for one user may be an annoying waste of time for another. The ability to configure a system to a specific user's interests and needs is what makes Linux a success.

(Psst. Wasn't it Ctrl-C, Ctrl-X, and Ctrl-V? Or did MS edict another imperious change?)
tuxchick

Aug 25, 2012
11:28 AM EDT
notbob, I'd take your comments more seriously if you had actually read the article, or knew what you were talking about. I described the Unix method of select text with the cursor/middle-click paste, and also noted that it is not consistently suppported in Linux and doesn't always work. And oopsie, it came from Unix, so that's not a native Linux feature. Vi and Emacs both originated on Unix too, and I'm not seeing what relevance vi and Emacs shortcuts have to people who don't use them. In fact pretty much everything came from Unix originally. If you want to talk about genuine native created-for-Linux and not ported from Unix, then you'll have to talk about graphical desktop environments like KDE and GNOME, and I wouldn't be surprised if they don't have some Unix inspiration in their origins. (CDE, anyone?)

"Replicating the Windows experience" doesn't even make sense. By that reasoning we should re-map the entire keyboard to something non-Windows. Like instead of the standard QWERTY make it random. That would surely be unique to Linux.
notbob

Aug 25, 2012
11:29 AM EDT
> Ever hear of laptop computers?

> keyboard to find your precious mouse.

Ah yes! The ever odious touchpad, a bane even to mouse fans. Some touchpads allow a double tap to suffice for a middle button click. I personally despise both, but would rather use one or the other, requiring both at one time being a total abomination, as touchpads are often want to do.

Also, you are correct about Ctrl-x, etc. Shows you how often I subscribe to that nonsense. ;)

notbob

Aug 25, 2012
1:31 PM EDT
> I described the Unix method of select text with the cursor/middle-click paste

You are correct. I missed it.

> "Replicating the Windows experience" doesn't even make sense.

Most of the keyboard shortcuts you mention came out of Win95. What would you call it?

Speaking of CDE, though you bring it up, you mysteriously failed to mention one of its more popular keyboard shortcuts. Keying Alt-[a-z] opens the corresponding main menu dropdown of most GUI menu based apps.

You may split hairs if you like. Despite Linux being only the kernel, MOST of the eye candy and bloated WM/DEs used to provide a GUI interface are more Windows-like than not. KDE even provides a Windows theme! I DID mention this is changing. Also, the fact remains that most of the underlying programs which make Linux what it is, are Unix and/or CLI based. Perhaps that is why Linus named his creation Linux, not Linsoft or Linple. ;)
tuxchick

Aug 25, 2012
3:02 PM EDT
notbob, the #1 criticism that I dismiss is "You didn't write what I wanted you to, so your article is like all wrong!" You also missed the part how keymapping is completely flexible in Linux, so if certain key combinations give you heartburn you can change them.

Put up or shut up- write a nice LXer feature that includes the material you like. If it's a decent article it will boost LXer and give readers some useful information. I bet you're too chicken to write something yourself and put it up for the world to see, and readers to comment on.
notbob

Aug 25, 2012
5:02 PM EDT
> "You didn't write what I wanted you to, so your article is like all wrong!"

Gee ....no matter how many times I re-read my posts, I can't quite locate the delightful quote you've ...."like".... attributed to me.

> too chicken to write something yourself

Personal insults? Really? I guess discussing actual facts is pretty much out the door at this point. ;)

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!