Unbelievable!

Story: Apple v. Samsung - Which Patents Infringed Total Replies: 4
Author Content
JaseP

Aug 31, 2012
8:37 AM EDT
Of course, I mean, "unbelievable!", in the sense that it's an exclamation, and not literal. I find it simply baffling that they could patent software, in the first place, and also secondly to patent software covering someone else's invention (that of a multi-touch capable device). When I took patent, copyright and trademark law in law school, software was just not patent protection worthy. It was considered to be like a player piano roll. The piano was patentable, not the music roll. The world has truly gone to h#ll.
notbob

Aug 31, 2012
10:35 AM EDT
You jes now realizing it?

The Gap recently settled a suit with Kim Kardashian, who sued them for running a video ad where some person in the video looked somewhat like Kim. Is that bizarre enough for you? If not, howzabout the suit brought by one plaintiff over infringement of a product never brought to market. How does that work? Read some of this stuff on Techdirt:

http://www.techdirt.com/

....a website that reports on all this copyright/patent nonsense in painful detail. Nothing the legal profession does is "unbelievable", anymore.
JaseP

Aug 31, 2012
12:33 PM EDT
I'm a regular Techdirt reader... I guess I was just naive enough to think a jury might see through the BS...
Fettoosh

Aug 31, 2012
1:34 PM EDT
I agree @JaseP, unbelievably ridiculous mind boggling crapula. Innovation will definitely be hurt in the US, and possibly in other countries iIf such court decision are upheld and continue to be ruled in court of law.

What are we to expect next from Apple? Patents that cover eye movement and voice commands? how different are such touch inputs from keyboard short cuts? How about mouse movements and screen edge definitions that KDE uses to create desktop effects and trigger actions? Aren't these the same and can be considered as prior art?

notbob

Aug 31, 2012
2:55 PM EDT
I think this recent victory has given Apple a big head. They've been flirting with how they might take out Google and Android. That would be interesting, as Google is no lie down wimp. The two are currently eying each other over a conference table, but this Samsung win may cause Apple to get froggy. I'm all for it. Apple is long overdue for a good corporate shiner.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!