A new blog, the very first post, and MS FUD is already there

Story: Linux on the Desktop: New OpportunitiesTotal Replies: 11
Author Content
caitlyn

Sep 07, 2012
10:11 PM EDT
The first comment just took my breath away. So much misinformation... Why do Windows fans feel so threatened by Linux that they have to run it down or dismiss it immediately, even on a blog that has no following yet?
tracyanne

Sep 08, 2012
1:44 AM EDT
I would have replied to that first poster, but It requires that I have an account to one or another ID service, and i can't use name and email, as many sites allow.
caitlyn

Sep 08, 2012
3:07 AM EDT
@tracyanne: Yes, that's a change Google made some time after they took over Blogger/Blogspot. There's nothing I can do about that.
tracyanne

Sep 08, 2012
3:52 AM EDT
Ok, ta. Pitty though.
Jeff91

Sep 08, 2012
11:03 AM EDT
Err - I user blogger personally and have the option for people without accounts to post.

This user must not.

~Jeff
caitlyn

Sep 08, 2012
1:21 PM EDT
It by "this user" you mean me, I'll just say the option is carefully hidden in the new Blogger. That used to be the default setting. I've just found where the option is and enabled anonymous comments. However, if I have some of the problems I've had in the past with trolls, hate posts and spammers I will disable it again and/or add comment moderation.
caitlyn

Sep 08, 2012
2:23 PM EDT
It seems I can't go even one post or one day without having to turn on comment moderation. (sigh) Since someone felt it necessary to use strong language and engage in personal attacks on one of the people who commented everyone will have to wait for me to approve their comments. Sorry, but if people can't engage in a respectful conversation even if they disagree then I have no choice.
tracyanne

Sep 08, 2012
6:27 PM EDT
Comment moderation is good, anonymous/name and url is good.
caitlyn

Sep 08, 2012
7:10 PM EDT
Well, everything you consider good is turned on now, tracyanne :)
jdixon

Sep 08, 2012
8:16 PM EDT
> Comment moderation is good, anonymous/name and url is good.

While I don't consider comment moderation good, it is a necessary evil. The combination of spam and people who can't abide by the rules mean you really can't allow comments without it.

I'm conflicted about anonymous. As long as you allow a name/url and don't require it to be a real name, I don't think anonymous is necessary, but many people really like having the option.
CFWhitman

Sep 10, 2012
10:32 AM EDT
Sometimes moderation for anonymous comments only works. If someone has an account, then you can warn them, ban them, etc. It's still too bad that comment moderation is necessary. By what I've seen, though, spam alone makes it a requirement.
helios

Sep 12, 2012
8:36 AM EDT
I have to agree though with many of boh readers. The Blogger captcha is insanely hard to decipher at times. You might have to refresh it a dozen times or more to get a legible representation of what they want. I tried disabling moderation myself but had over 500 spam posts in 6 days. I can't handle that kind of trash.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!