Author Content
notbob

Sep 09, 2012
12:26 PM EDT
See, he ....you can spell! ;)
helios

Sep 10, 2012
4:47 PM EDT
But, but notBob.....they replaced our a's with @'s. At least they did with mine....which might only substantiate your point. ;-))

Peace.
notbob

Sep 11, 2012
9:47 AM EDT
Not being a "they", I'm in no position to say. What is it with those @s in front of folk's nicks, anyway? Is that some sorta twitter affectation? So, folks are jes using those everywhere, now, to display how cool they are and let everyone know they are one with the twit-scape?

nb --retreating further into the rain ;)
helios

Sep 11, 2012
1:09 PM EDT
Yeah, it's the twitterscape. See I can invent words as well as butcher them. I have an account that does me absolutely zero good. Like anyone actually cares that I had asparagus for lunch or am currently listening to Black Sabbath Paranoid. Which is exactly what I am having for lunch and did listen to at 4:31 this morning.

For those who might want to know.....
jdixon

Sep 11, 2012
3:13 PM EDT
> ...or am currently listening to Black Sabbath Paranoid.

Why am I not surprised? :)
tuxchick

Sep 11, 2012
3:45 PM EDT
Ew. You like asparagus.
Bob_Robertson

Sep 11, 2012
4:27 PM EDT
I'm with TC. Yuck.
gus3

Sep 11, 2012
5:30 PM EDT
@tc,
Quoting:Ew. You like Black Sabbath.
FTFY.
Scott_Ruecker

Sep 11, 2012
8:19 PM EDT
For the record, Bill Ward is one of the greatest Rock Drummers of all time. He doesn't get the credit he deserves in comparison to other drummers of the era. "The Wizard" is one of the greatest drum licks ever.

:-)
BernardSwiss

Sep 11, 2012
9:54 PM EDT
AFAIK (for whatever it's worth)

"@username" has been around for some time, presumably because "@" is often interpreted as "at", from email and other uses well before the digital era.

The "twitterism" (see, I can coin words too) is the hashtag reference.

/pedant
slacker_mike

Sep 11, 2012
11:47 PM EDT
Quoting:For the record, Bill Ward is one of the greatest Rock Drummers of all time. He doesn't get the credit he deserves in comparison to other drummers of the era. "The Wizard" is one of the greatest drum licks ever.

So true. I still can't believe how Black Sabbath was panned as low grade musicians when they first emerged. I have listened to Sabbath over and over and I never get tired of hearing Bill and Geezer do what they do. Few bands have inspired as many other bands as Black Sabbath.
helios

Sep 12, 2012
8:33 AM EDT
Yeah slacker_mike, but that was back when Ozzie's every third word was intelligible. But I agree about the quality of music they produced. Other all-time favorites of mine are Ten Years After and The Nitty Gritty Dirt Band. They produced some of the most precise and talented music for their eras.
slacker_mike

Sep 12, 2012
9:11 PM EDT
I totally agree with you helios on Ten Years After but I have to plead ignorance on the Nitty Gritty Dirt Band. Another one to add to the list of talented blues rock bands in my opinion is Mountain. I will check out NGDB though,
caitlyn

Sep 12, 2012
10:37 PM EDT
I love veggies of all sorts... but not Asparagus. I'm with tc on this one.

I also really don't like Black Sabbath.
slacker_mike

Sep 12, 2012
11:19 PM EDT
I find grilled asparagus to be quite delightful.
caitlyn

Sep 12, 2012
11:50 PM EDT
Quoting:Yeah slacker_mike, but that was back when Ozzie's every third word was intelligible.
I was in a friend's car and she had an Ozzy Osbourne song on. It was a pop song rather than the metal Ozzy is associated with and his vocals were perfectly clear. I don't know how old the song was but he was perfectly capable of being intelligible. I also have Rick Wakeman's "Return to the Centre of the Earth" (on minidisc, no less) and Ozzy sings one song on that album and, again, the words are clear. That one dates to 1998 or so.

Ozzy Osbourne's vocal style isn't my cup of tea but I do have to admit the man is a talented vocalist. I think the reality show he and his family did (from which I watched a total of maybe 5 minutes worth) made him out to be a joke and that's his public persona now. It's kind of a shame considering all he's accomplished as a musician. I say that even though I am decidedly not a fan.

Oh, and helios, since I'm moving to Texas now, am I supposed to hate broccoli like the first President Bush? That might be hard because I like broccoli, particularly when it's fresh from my own garden.
helios

Sep 13, 2012
8:34 AM EDT
Naw Cait....You have 3 years to assimilate to the "Texas Way" before the committee comes and visits you at 11:32 PM, usually on a Tuesday, and most often during a waning moon. No rush. Usually after that first visit, the voice inflection is the first notable change, followed by a strong desire for sweet tea and Blue Bell Ice Cream http://tinyurl.com/925y3t8. After that, you'll find yourself using delightful phrases like "Bless his heart". (translation - I don't think he's right in the head) and "You ain't from around here are ya?" (Translation - you have as much business being here as poop on a shoe)

You'll do fine.

And yes, I was an odd child. I always liked asparagus as well as broccoli and brussels sprouts. BTW, asparagus is excellent grilled with butter and garlic. It's a Texas thang. Can't do much with Liver though...never could.

slacker_mike - NNDB is a bit of a contradiction of my 60's and 70's rock tastes but again. they are a technically-precise band as well as a bunch of fun to watch in concert. Here's the studio version http://tinyurl.com/9repjz9 and a concert performance of the same song. http://tinyurl.com/9repjz9 Great, great music. Just make sure you're ready to get your mellow on. You won't have much choice.

Anyone keeping track of the number of TOS violations I have in this one post? I think I may have achieved a new personal best.

CFWhitman

Sep 13, 2012
9:29 AM EDT
Quoting:I totally agree with you helios on Ten Years After but I have to plead ignorance on the Nitty Gritty Dirt Band. Another one to add to the list of talented blues rock bands in my opinion is Mountain. I will check out NGDB though,
I am in the reverse situation. I am a fan of the Nitty Gritty Dirt Band, but am unfamiliar with Ten Years After. NGDB is not the same genre as Ozzy (or Black Sabbath) at all, as far as I can tell. NGDB is country/folk/southern rock, with perhaps a touch of bluegrass thrown in.
caitlyn

Sep 13, 2012
10:52 AM EDT
@helios: Sweet tea is a big deal in North Carolina too. I've spent 12.5 of the last 14.5 years here and I still don't like my tea all sugary. Very, very lightly sweetened is fine or I can drink it unsweetened. If North Carolina couldn't get me to drink sweet tea (which is sugar with a little tea added) then I doubt Texas can. I've also mostly avoided the Southern drawl. The main impact on my language is that I did learn that "y'all" can be an incredibly useful word-like thing :)

We have Blue Bell ice cream here too, BTW. It's not my favorite brand but it is good.

That usage of "Bless His Heart" is common throughout the South, not just Texas. :)
telanoc

Sep 13, 2012
5:37 PM EDT
This thread got me reminded of New Riders of the Purple Sage, another great southern country/rock group.

@caitlyn: One more thing you'll have to love here: Chicken Fried Steak.

caitlyn

Sep 13, 2012
9:39 PM EDT
Quoting:@caitlyn: One more thing you'll have to love here: Chicken Fried Steak.
I'm (almost) vegetarian. I have a hereditary condition that effectively makes it impossible for me to eat meat without getting really, really sick. My body lacks the necessary enzymes to digest meat. I can tolerate a little fish now and again (hence the almost) but my body simply cannot break down and digest steak. I think even Texans can understand vegetarianism under those circumstances.
BernardSwiss

Sep 13, 2012
9:51 PM EDT
From what I hear -- As long as you support the 2nd Amendment, and are a football fan, they might forgive almost anything else (even voting Democrat) ... :-)
caitlyn

Sep 13, 2012
10:12 PM EDT
@BernardSwiss: I'll remind you that when George H.W. Bush was a moderate Republican Congressman from Texas he was a gun control advocate. I think Texans can even be tolerant on 2nd Amendment issues.

Oh, and we are probably both guilty of TOS violations here. Cuisine and music are fair to discuss. Politics... not really.
BernardSwiss

Sep 13, 2012
11:08 PM EDT
I think it's clear we were both being "humorous", rather than "political".

However, you may have a point, so the reminder is accepted in the spirit intended.
caitlyn

Sep 14, 2012
12:14 AM EDT
@BernardSwiss: I wanted it to remain humorous and not turn into real political debate is all. I think we owe Scott & Co. that much :)
theboomboomcars

Sep 14, 2012
11:14 PM EDT
caitlyn I don't think you will have much trouble being a vegetarian in TX. My wife and I took Ken to lunch once. To a steak house, and being an almost vegetarian myself due to medical reasons, I ordered an entirely vegetarian meal, and it was one of the best ones I have eaten. So despite the massive amounts of available, the wonderful cooking talent in TX isn't just limited to the meat.
slacker_mike

Sep 15, 2012
12:51 AM EDT
helios and telanoc thank you for the recommendations on NGDB and the New Riders, I am enjoying what I have listened to so far!
Scott_Ruecker

Sep 16, 2012
12:43 AM EDT
Quoting:I also really don't like Black Sabbath.

Its ok Caitlyn, I still like you..;-)
jdixon

Sep 16, 2012
10:00 PM EDT
> Can't do much with Liver though...never could.

Liver looks wonderful. It smells wonderful. The initial taste is wonderful. Then I chew it and it tastes like someone soaked it in battery acid. :(

> The main impact on my language is that I did learn that "y'all" can be an incredibly useful word-like thing :)

I've never understood the prejudice against y'all. It's just a shortened form of you all, which is used to refer to a group of people. And there's plenty of historical precedence for the usage of you all.

And I've heard all of the above bands at one time or another, though I'm not a particular fan of any of them. I'm really surprised no one brought up Pure Prairie League though.

Of course, the real divide is Texas is the Texans vs. the Cowboys. If I had to guess, I'd say Caitlyn is probably a Giants fan.
Fettoosh

Sep 17, 2012
7:30 PM EDT
Quoting:Then I chew it and it tastes like someone soaked it in battery acid.

Not when it is from a newly butchered Middle Eastern lamp eaten RAW with tail fat with Salt, Cinnamon, Black Pepper and Onions on Pita bread. It is delicious and is considered a weekend morning delicacy in certain areas in Lebanon. It has so much demand people have to pre-order to get it.

Raw Liver & Meat

Quoting:Liver can be baked, boiled, broiled, fried, stir-fried, or eaten raw (Lebanese cuisine, liver sashimi)
jdixon

Sep 17, 2012
8:32 PM EDT
> Not when it is from ...

I've been told the same thing for many recipes over the years Fettosh. They all taste the same. I simply can't eat liver.

helios

Sep 23, 2012
9:26 AM EDT
Jdixon - I really popped on the comparison to being soaked in battery acid....never was able to quite describe that nasty bitter after-taste. The closest I've come to being able to perform the semblance of a swallow reflex (as opposed to gag reflex) while eating liver was in Germany. While in America we seem to be obsessed with preparing "Liver and Onions", The Germans in Bavaria prepare "Liver and Apples". It removes that horrible iron taste for the most part, but it still has that nasty after-taste that we all associate with Liver.

And not to put too fine a point on it or put off anyone's appetite, considering the function of said meat product, I just never could justify its consumption.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!