Untitled

Story: Amazon Blocks Arch Linux Handbook from Kindle StoreTotal Replies: 5
Author Content
notbob

Sep 10, 2012
9:26 AM EDT
> Unless they Install Ice Cream Sandwich on their Kindle Fire

Having zero idea of what an "Ice Cream Sandwich" is --other than a foodstuff-- I looked it up.

"It builds on the things people love most about Android — easy multitasking, rich notifications, customizable home screens, resizable widgets, and deep interactivity — and adds powerful new ways of communicating and sharing."

I hadda read that a few times to let it sink in. Rich notifications? Customizable home screens? Deep interactivity? Geez, I had no idea I was missing so much. And so putting all these rich notifications and deep interactivity's on a Kindle will get me what? An ebook reader that acts like a smart phone that you can't phone home on, and Amazon can erase it at any minute? Boy! ...am I ever out in the rain. ;)
tracyanne

Sep 10, 2012
8:01 PM EDT
Quoting:and Amazon can erase it at any minute?

No they can't because it overwrites the version of the OS that Amazon installs, by reflashing the ROM, thereby removing Amazons ability to remove it.

Quoting: Boy! ...am I ever out in the rain.

Yes indeed
helios

Sep 12, 2012
9:02 AM EDT
While I was away in Houston, Diane found a pretty good deal on a Kindle and bought one without mentioning it to me. When it arrived, and after my apoplexy, it was sent back with a demand for a refund. They even refunded shipping costs on the return. Reason? Their DRM sucks and we will not buy a product that has the ability to reach into MY device and erase it. The return email is as received verbatim:

"We are sorry that you did not find our product useful. Please keep us in mind for your next electronic purchase."

Yeah, right.

Sure I could have rooted it and installed a different ROM but why would I do that when a Nook delivers the same quality product just a bit cheaper without the drama and @sshatery of Amazon censorship.

Ska-rooo that Clinton...the Nook works nicely, thank you. Diane loves hers.

And a quick question. Does "@sshatery" have two t's or one?
notbob

Sep 12, 2012
10:05 AM EDT
Not sure, but you appear to be quite the headliner on the @ss part. ;)
gus3

Sep 12, 2012
2:49 PM EDT
@notbob:

You have a one-track mind. It's making you predictable.

@helios:

Is the root "hat" or "hate"? If the former, two T's. If the latter, one T. (Even if "latter" is spelt with two T's, and "spelt" is written with one T, and "written" contains two T's, and "contains" has one T, and "has" has no T, since it isn't four o'clock yet.)
DrGeoffrey

Sep 12, 2012
5:13 PM EDT
Quoting:since it isn't four o'clock yet.

So what? It's always after 4p somewhere.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!