Hard At Work

Story: The Default Wallpaper of Ubuntu 12.10Total Replies: 8
Author Content
HoTMetaL

Sep 12, 2012
6:15 AM EDT
The takeaway quote from this breaking story:

"...the Ubuntu developers are hard at work replacing the default wallpaper in Quantal with a slightly different one."

tracyanne

Sep 12, 2012
6:40 AM EDT
And that my friend is why Ubuntu is so successful.
helios

Sep 12, 2012
8:50 AM EDT
Next, we'll get a full three page story on how they redesigned the various checkboxes in Nobuntu. Waiting, almost p33ing my knicks in anticipation.
Jeff91

Sep 12, 2012
9:42 AM EDT
You all jeer - but some of the only comments in a "review" at times are what the icons look like along with the wall paper.

Don't hate the player, hate the game.

~Jeff
penguinist

Sep 12, 2012
9:56 AM EDT
Let's step back and look at this.

All distributions are based on the same upstream applications and the same Linux kernel. What a distribution brings to the party is a way of organizing GNU/Linux into a convenient form. Therefore, the differences between the distributions will be minor. They will consist of the packaging system (rpm, yum, apt-get, ...) a choice of default desktop (most distributions give you a way to select the one you want), and what's left over is eye candy... art work, backgrounds, icons...

Therefore, distribution reviews will inevitably not be focusing on the meaty substance of the kernel and the rich set of apps available because all Linux distributions enjoy these things. They will focus on what's different, the organization, packaging, and art work.
albinard

Sep 12, 2012
11:11 AM EDT
@penguinist: At last - a rational, measured evaluation of the nature of distro reviews!

+1 to you!
Fettoosh

Sep 12, 2012
12:37 PM EDT
@penguinist:

Good point. +1

Canonical has been trying to do that since day one. They knew Ubuntu had to be uniquely different to be recognized among so many distributions. That is why they developed their own Unity interface. The split from GNOME was due to disagreement on Canonical's plan.

rnturn

Sep 12, 2012
12:41 PM EDT
Oi! Wallpapers? Seriously... who cares. Users change them to show their kids, their cats, or the sports car they fantasize about owning within a week anyway.

Articles like this almost make me feel like I'm back in the '80s when reviews went to great lengths to tout the superiority of a new computer because it was able to format floppies 1.5 seconds faster than their competitors.
dinotrac

Sep 12, 2012
4:35 PM EDT
@all:

Announcing: dinoBuntu

This time, we've capitalized the 'B'!

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!