DarkDuck speaks

Story: 5 highly rated Linux OS distributionsTotal Replies: 13
Author Content
2briancox

Sep 17, 2012
3:03 PM EDT
DarkDuck has become an expert in saying something, when there's really nothing to say. Next week the headline will be: "One Linux distribution that uses the Unity interface" or "Which is better KDE, Gnome or Cinnamon?"

A "Hide DarkDuck submissions" button on the LXer page would go a long way towards simplifying the posts to only those items that have some relevance.
DrGeoffrey

Sep 17, 2012
5:34 PM EDT
And another whiney@$$ complaint about what some self-important poster thinks is not important is blessed upon an unwitting/unwilling audience.

My apologies for the above, but haven't we heard this whine enough? If you don't like his posts, the solution is quite simple: Don't Read Them!

Which, pretty much is what I should have done to this thread. Excuse me while I get back to work.
tracyanne

Sep 17, 2012
6:51 PM EDT
Well at least Dark Duck gets noticed.
kikinovak

Sep 18, 2012
8:37 AM EDT
@2briancox: +1. Signal to Dark Duck post ratio should be higher indeed.
2briancox

Sep 18, 2012
10:59 AM EDT
tracyanne:

So the purpose of a DarkDuck post is for people to look at DarkDuck?

Shouldn't the purpose of a post be to interject information or ideas of significance into the discussion within the Linux community? News. Not self-promotion.

Wouldn't that be a higher goal?
notbob

Sep 18, 2012
1:42 PM EDT
2briancox wrote: Shouldn't the purpose of a post be to interject information or ideas of significance into the discussion within the Linux community? News. Not self-promotion.

If LXer was to immediately initiate a policy limiting "self-promontion", at least 50% of its content would cease to exist. ;)
number6x

Sep 18, 2012
4:18 PM EDT
2briancox wrote:"So the purpose of a DarkDuck post is for people to look at DarkDuck"

No. The purpose of a DarkDuck post is so we here at Lxer have something to moan about. If DD stopped posting we would have to find something else to complain about, and having to do that would make me complain and moan.

Of course we could stop complaining and write a blog of our own. (Then other people could complain about us!)
DrGeoffrey

Sep 18, 2012
5:41 PM EDT
Quoting:The purpose of a DarkDuck post is so we here at Lxer have something to moan about.

Ahhh, shoot. Forgot about that. Carry on, everyone.
tracyanne

Sep 18, 2012
7:12 PM EDT
@2briancox

Quoting:So the purpose of a DarkDuck post is for people to look at DarkDuck?

Actually my post

Quoting:Well at least Dark Duck gets noticed.

wasn't meant as support for DarkDuck, it was to highlight the fact that seemingly more worthy posts are simply ignored, for discussion, while everyone wastes pages and pages lambasting DarkDuck and his efforts.

My suggestion, if you don't like what DD posts, simply ignore the articles, get on with your life, read something else potentially more informative.

smallboxadmin

Sep 19, 2012
11:43 AM EDT
@tracyanne
Quoting:...if you don't like what DD posts, simply ignore the articles, get on with your life...

Now where's the fun in that? I actually have stopped commenting on DD because it's become too mainstream on LXer.
JaseP

Sep 19, 2012
12:08 PM EDT
There are plenty of articles posted here that are either not news (opinion/fluff) or inflammatory, meant to stir the pot and get clicks for advertisers (SJVN, anyone?!). That keeps writers employed. I have no problem with that. Like others have said,... don't wanna see it? Don't click.

I don't know about the rest of you,... but I maybe read 15-20% of the articles posted here.
jdixon

Sep 19, 2012
2:07 PM EDT
> I don't know about the rest of you,... but I maybe read 15-20% of the articles posted here.

Sounds about right.
BernardSwiss

Sep 19, 2012
7:50 PM EDT
I personally find the DD-bashing has gone beyond repetitious and tiresome, and is venturing into actually obnoxious.

I have noticed that the commenters at "that other site" don't waste their breath trashing DarkDuck's stuff at any and every opportunity, even though DD's stuff gets posted over there just as much as over here. I sometimes wonder whether the readership over there just "more professional", or whether they're simply more secure in/less jealous of their "geek credentials".

How about we stick to "constructive criticism", and leave the knee-jerk flaming to the nice boys at 4chan and ZDNet?
2briancox

Sep 20, 2012
10:34 AM EDT
Well, I was actually unaware of all of the other "DD-bashing" that goes on. I was just commenting because my point occurred to me and I felt it was worth mentioning.

It wasn't meant as a flame. Just an observation that I thought others might agree with. It seems I was right on that account though.

And "...then don't read his posts..." is bad advice for me. I click on headlines through linuxhomepage.com so I don't see who posted things before I read them.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!