I still use it

Story: What Ever Happend to PineTotal Replies: 4
Author Content
jacog

Sep 18, 2012
4:04 AM EDT
Well, sort of - I use alpine.

No access to my GMail accounts at work, so I ssh to one of my servers and just use alpine.
phsolide

Sep 18, 2012
8:18 AM EDT
I run my own SMTP server, and ssh into it to read my email using Alpine. I have been a regular Pine or Alpine user since 1994 or so.
jdixon

Sep 18, 2012
8:53 AM EDT
I've always preferred elm myself. Like you, I prefer the command line for reading my email. I do have to fire up a gui email program on occasion to read some important email that's been sent as html though.

And everyone knows that Pine actually stands for Pine is not elm. :)
CFWhitman

Sep 18, 2012
9:29 AM EDT
According to one of the original developers of Pine, Laurence Lundblade, Pine didn't stand for anything when the client was named, but was just picked out because Pine was an alternative to Elm, which looked as though it was named after another tree. He also stated that his favorite backronym for Pine was 'Pine Is Nearly Elm.' Of course, 'Pine Is Not Elm,' seems to be the favorite of the Unix/Linux world, but who came up with something as generic as, 'Program for Internet News and Email'?
linux4567

Sep 18, 2012
10:25 AM EDT
I still use it too. It's the only mail program I trust not to corrupt my mail archives (Kmail, Thunderbird, Outlook have all been guilty of that at some point).

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!