I'm disappointed

Story: "I am calling you from Windows": A tech support scammer dials Ars TechnicaTotal Replies: 9
Author Content
tracyanne

Oct 05, 2012
6:06 PM EDT
I've never had that call. On the other hand my partner's 90+ YO mother did get such a call, after the "nice" person on the other end had finished explaining that she had viruses on her computer she paused, said "that's odd.... I don't have a computer.", and hung up.
JaseP

Oct 05, 2012
6:20 PM EDT
I'd love for someone to set up a honeypot and reverse-hack these clowns, and even wipe out their entire network. That would be poetic justice...
BernardSwiss

Oct 05, 2012
7:17 PM EDT
I've had the call three or four times.

The first few times, they didn't get it when I told them I wasn't running Windows, but Debian (or Ubuntu or Mint). They even argued with me (I suppose they thought I was too ignorant to distinguish between an application and the OS).

But the most recent time, as soon as I said "that's really odd -- I'm running Debian Linux", the line went dead -- and I haven't been called again. since.
qcimushroom

Oct 06, 2012
12:57 AM EDT
I've had the call a few times. The last time I made him wait till the computer booted up (a lie on my part), when he asked me to go to a web page, I told him that that computer doesn’t have access to the internet, and to wait till I booted up another Windows machine, he did, and again I told him that that computer doesn’t have access to the internet. I this point he asked me if I had internet, I answered I on it now. He asked me what with, I answered Linux, Windows is not fit to use on the internet. He then offered to help me connect 1 of my Windows machines to the internet. (having burned up over 20 minutes of his time) told him connecting a Windows machine to the internet would get me fired (lie) and hung up.
gus3

Oct 06, 2012
12:35 PM EDT
Wow, that's even better than the day I schooled a would-be prank caller in the right way to do the "is your refrigerator running?" joke.
Steven_Rosenber

Oct 06, 2012
1:51 PM EDT
Usually they tell you that you've won the Irish Sweepstakes and need to fork over a little seed money to get your payout.

"You have viruses" isn't all that enticing.
caitlyn

Oct 08, 2012
3:25 PM EDT
I've never had such a call. I feel deprived.
DrGeoffrey

Oct 08, 2012
5:20 PM EDT
I don't. I don't care for telephone calls, especially calls that waste my time.

(You read my door mat, that's enough social interaction for the day.)
caitlyn

Oct 08, 2012
5:56 PM EDT
I was being sarcastic. Thanks for the reminder to use sarcasm tags.
DrGeoffrey

Oct 08, 2012
6:08 PM EDT
You mean, I should use them, too?

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!