Untitled

Story: Zenwalk Linux 7.2 aims for "100% Slackware compatibility"Total Replies: 5
Author Content
slacker_mike

Oct 15, 2012
11:01 PM EDT
I tried Zenwalk in the past and found it to be a decent spin-off of Slackware marred by one of the worst package managers I have ever had the displeasure of using, Netpkg. Netpkg is so bad it will make you appreciate the pkgtools that Slackware comes with.
caitlyn

Oct 15, 2012
11:33 PM EDT
Um... no. Just no. That must have been quite a long time in the past. The last few times I looked at Zenwalk I found Netpkg to be quite good. Besides, nothing will ever make me appreciate Slackware's lack of automated dependency checking. For me, in 2012, it's entirely unacceptable.
Steven_Rosenber

Oct 16, 2012
1:19 AM EDT
What about slapt-get and Gslapt? Those aren't in Zenwalk?
slacker_mike

Oct 16, 2012
7:57 AM EDT
When I tried Zenwalk it just shipped Netpkg, but that was a couple years ago.
Steven_Rosenber

Oct 16, 2012
2:14 PM EDT
The first time I ran Gslapt and slapt-get on Slackware, it was like the parting of the Red Sea.
jdixon

Oct 16, 2012
2:45 PM EDT
> When I tried Zenwalk it just shipped Netpkg, but that was a couple years ago.

Ditto. It didn't have slapt-get or gslapt at the time I looked at it. At least, not that I knew of. I don't think it even had slackpkg.

The startup guide for Zenwalk 6 (http://manual.zenwalk.org/startup_guide/zenwalk6_startup_gui...) still only mentions netpkg. However, it appears that slapt-get and gslapt are available in the repositories.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!