Raise your (virtual) hands

Story: The Perfect Desktop - OpenSUSE 12.2 (GNOME Desktop)Total Replies: 10
Author Content
caitlyn

Oct 17, 2012
5:24 PM EDT
How many of you think GNOME 3.4.1 is not "the pefect desktop"? Don't be shy now.
gus3

Oct 17, 2012
6:10 PM EDT
My hand's up.
dinotrac

Oct 17, 2012
7:52 PM EDT
You guys are just so gosh darn it all negative!

Nobody's pefect, y'know.
jdixon

Oct 17, 2012
7:52 PM EDT
I don't think of it as a desktop at all. A tablet top, maybe.
tracyanne

Oct 17, 2012
9:25 PM EDT
Perfect in what sense? I'm sure it's not the same sense as i mean by perfect.
caitlyn

Oct 18, 2012
5:29 PM EDT
I've been running openSUSE 12.2 on my desktop lately and I have been deliberately giving GNOME a chance. It is usable and it isn't as absolutely horrible as some make it out to be. It's also a pain in the a** for people who are used to having lots of things open and multitasking. Of the major DEs it's my least favorite so I'd hardly call openSUSE 12.2 with GNOME a "perfect desktop". openSUSE 12.2 with XFCE, OTOH, is pretty darned nice.
Steven_Rosenber

Oct 18, 2012
11:57 PM EDT
The alt-tab working across multiple virtual desktops is a great thing. Super key, then type the beginning of an app, then Return to run it -- I miss both of those features in other DEs.
caitlyn

Oct 19, 2012
10:37 AM EDT
@Steven: The wonderful thing about Linux: there are lots of DEs so we can each choose the one we like.
newspost

Oct 19, 2012
12:12 PM EDT
I like GNOME 3 so much that I patch GNOME 2 so I don't have to go near it!

(in b4 banned)
Bob_Robertson

Oct 19, 2012
3:24 PM EDT
I can have no opinion because I haven't tried it. At least, if I have, it did not make enough of an impression to be remembered.
slacker_mike

Oct 19, 2012
9:45 PM EDT
I tried it. There were somethings that were very well done but in the end multi-tasking and multi-monitor support was just too difficult for me.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!