Try Cinnarch or Sabayon for easier versions

Story: Under the Hood with Arch and Gentoo Total Replies: 7
Author Content
cmost

Oct 22, 2012
5:31 PM EDT
There's really no need for the timid to tangle with full blown Gentoo or Arch Linux in order to utilize these powerful systems. A new distribution called Cinnarch is an easy to install version of Arch Linux with the innovative and familiar Cinnamon desktop which is easy to use, easy to install and fully compatible with Arch Linux proper. Of course KDE, LXDE and any other major desktop is readily available for installation post-install for those who prefer other desktop environments. For Gentoo aficionados looking to take advantage of the powerful features in this OS but not wishing to learn how to do a stage three installation, there's Sabayon Linux. Sabayon is a novel Gentoo compatible distribution that provides binary packages that are fully up-to-date with Gentoo's portage and an easy, Synaptic-like and Apt-like package manager interface that allows anyone to get to grips with this powerful OS in just a few minutes. If one prefers, one can simply use Gentoo's native Portage package manager as an alternative to the binary system. I highly recommend Sabayon as an excellent, modern, powerful rolling distribution that's compatible with Gentoo. Enjoy!
caitlyn

Oct 22, 2012
10:44 PM EDT
If you combine Cinnarch and Sabayon do you get Cinnabon?
claudecat

Oct 23, 2012
12:33 AM EDT
Mmmm... Cinnabon...

Anyway, other easy-ish to install Arch-based systems include Manjaro, Bridge, and the more venerable Archbang and Chakra. Note that Manjaro and Chakra use their own repositories and are not fully Arch-compatible.

As for Sabayon, I like it for many of the reasons listed, but find that it's package management (I use equo in a terminal) is so mind-bogglingly slow that it almost rivals Gentoo itself. I'm exaggerating of course, but one can do an entire install of any of the Arch-based distros I mentioned in the time it takes for Sabayon to upgrade a KDE version, not even counting the download time.

As for the article - I don't know why Gentoo was even included, as the majority of time is spent discussing Arch. I'd love to see a full review of Gentoo including the install process. I'd write one myself, but I doubt I could remember now exactly how I finally arrived at a working KDE system.
jacog

Oct 23, 2012
8:15 AM EDT
I used Sabayon for a while and thought it was great, but jeepers - all the compiling - awesome in principle, but oh so very time consuming. Maybe my own fault for not doing updates when I am off doing other things.
cmost

Oct 24, 2012
6:43 AM EDT
@ jacog

I'm a Sabayon user and I don't know what you're talking about?!? There is no compiling on Sabayon if you use entropy as the package manager instead of portage, which is kinda the whole point of Sabayon. If you were compiling packages then you were using portage and not entropy. Just be sure never to mix the two package managers (e.g., install some things with portage and others with entropy) or you'll end up in a pickle.
jacog

Oct 24, 2012
9:08 AM EDT
Mayyybe. It's been a while. :)
caitlyn

Oct 24, 2012
3:36 PM EDT
Quoting:I used Sabayon for a while and thought it was great, but jeepers - all the compiling - awesome in principle, but oh so very time consuming. Maybe my own fault for not doing updates when I am off doing other things.
That was and is my take on Gentoo. There is nothing wrong with the distro per se and a lot that is very well done, but the time needed to build everything and anything from source made it too painful to me to use regularly.
claudecat

Oct 24, 2012
10:18 PM EDT
Yes, Gentoo is the ultimate tinkerer's distro - not for those without plenty of time (at first at least). Once it's been cajoled into place, say on a vacation week or similar period of home imprisonment, it becomes less time consuming as you can let it do its update compiling while you do other stuff, like extricating yourself from the computer chair without jostling the ol' ankle bracelet excessively.

I jest, but the point is, it really ain't that bad once the pain of the initial install is over. Maybe not for those that need to do actual stuff with their computer, but loads of fun for the inveterate distro-hopper/holic like me.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!