KDE Plasma desktop or Plasma Active better for tablets

Story: Ubuntu 13.04 Will Run on the Google Nexus 7 TabletTotal Replies: 6
Author Content
mark_oz

Oct 28, 2012
3:03 AM EDT
My Thoughts On Running Ubuntu And Kubuntu On Google Nexus 7

"I was actually surprised to find that KDE was more responsive, fast usable compared to Ubuntu Unity. Since you can customize the size of panel, fonts and application buttons and borders you can use KDE on this tablet just with your finger. No mouse or keyboard is needed. So, I found the desktop KDE to be more usable than Unity."

http://www.muktware.com/4679/my-thoughts-running-ubuntu-and-...

"I also installed Kubuntu on this tablet and I was actually surprised to find that KDE was more responsive, fast usable compared to Ubuntu Unity."

Plasma Active should be even better again on a tablet than Plasma desktop.
Fettoosh

Oct 28, 2012
12:12 PM EDT
I wish the KDE team would concentrate more on getting Plasma Active ready on existing hardware like Samsung Galaxy or Google Nexuses instead of worrying getting their own tablet hardware.

Having open hardware or hardware with open source drivers is important, but having a ready and working tablet OS with touch enabled applications is much more important at this point. Trying to tackle the issue of open hardware is spreading themselves too thin and not worth it at this time.

The KDE team is doing an excellent job getting core frameworks on solid grounds. It is now more important to get applications touch interface enabled.

So far, the path taken by the KDE team for KDE 4 Plasma Desktop, Netbook & Plasma Active for tables is the right one.

Edited: Plasma Active 4

Jeff91

Oct 28, 2012
4:30 PM EDT
E17 folks. Has been finger friendly from the start and is far more resource friendly than both KDE and Unity.

~Jeff
Fettoosh

Oct 28, 2012
4:59 PM EDT
Quoting:E17 folks. Has been finger friendly from the start ...

E17 might be super doper fast and touch friendly and all, but what counts and boils down to is what hardware users have, applications they need, want, like and prefer, the DE they are accustomed to and feel comfortable with, etc, etc, etc. It is a personal choice and we are glad we have so many available.

gus3

Oct 28, 2012
6:13 PM EDT
Quoting:what counts and boils down to is what hardware users have
Well, as E users are fond of saying, "Compositing? We were doing that twelve years ago!" when there was little to no hardware support for it. E can do in software (when needed) what other DE's can do only with hardware support.
tracyanne

Oct 29, 2012
2:10 AM EDT
KDE plasma may well be better than Ubuntu/Unity on a Tablet, but unfortunately, as much as I want it, and I have an order for 2 tablets, if and or when they finally manufacture, It's not running on anything yet, while Canonical have their Unity desktop, on more than one smart phone device already. So the whole thing is moot. If I have to choose between KDE not yet running on tablets and Ubuntu Unity actually doing so, then I'll choose Unity.
Jeff91

Oct 29, 2012
5:03 PM EDT
E17 should be here on devices via Tizen next year :)

~Jeff

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!