Love it

Story: Food for thought: Consumer collaboration on car designTotal Replies: 24
Author Content
newspost

Nov 01, 2012
3:54 PM EDT
I love how tracyanne's posts and everyone else's get front row seating on lxer but ours don't show up until the lowest period of activity where fewest people will see it.

We see what you folks are doing here, this is why people hate media outlets. Way to showcase it for us. :)
tracyanne

Nov 01, 2012
4:59 PM EDT
@newpost. They are not my posts, they are merely posts that I have approved, for some reason, posts by a certain other person (bob I think, since that user makes 90% of the posts) get reassigned to my name.

Given that bob makes 90% of the posts, it's not at all unreasonable to expect that posts with my name on them will appear in prime time, and by the simple law of averages, other posts will appear at other times.

No one, least of me, is placing posts in any order other than the order in in which they were originally posted. If your posts happen to appear outside of prime time that is just the way it is. The only way to make sure your posts always appear in what is for you, prime time, is for myself and Carla and Scott to finesse the list manually, and even then I can't guarantee that anything I do will ensure that your posts appear in what is for you prime time, as I'm in Australia, and prime time for you is usually when I'm asleep.
newspost

Nov 01, 2012
5:03 PM EDT
@tracyanne I wasn't blaming you. I was simply pointing out that it has been noticed as it has happened to us 5 or 6 times now. My post was submitted over 8 hours ago, bet yours weren't.
caitlyn

Nov 01, 2012
5:04 PM EDT
Quoting:prime time ... is usually when I'm asleep.
I've been working some really long days and odd hours lately. So, yeah, prime time for me is when I'm finally getting some sleep too :)

p.s.: My posts seem to show up on LXer anywhere from an hour to a day after I post them. I've always assumed that the reasons for the wide variety are 1) some stories may seem important to an editor, and 2) the size of the queue of pending stories does vary quite a bit.

penguinist

Nov 01, 2012
5:10 PM EDT
@newspost: Your paranoia is getting the better of you. Listen to tracyanne, she is explaining to you how the LXer newswire queue works.

Once an LXer volunteer editor places a story in the queue it then waits its turn. No one is getting preferential treatment here.

Lighten up, man.
jdixon

Nov 01, 2012
9:35 PM EDT
> My post was submitted over 8 hours ago, bet yours weren't.

That's fairly close to normal, in my experience.
Steven_Rosenber

Nov 01, 2012
10:33 PM EDT
Since people read LXer around the world, one person's prime time is another's middle of the night.
tracyanne

Nov 01, 2012
11:51 PM EDT
Quoting: My post was submitted over 8 hours ago, bet yours weren't.

At a guess I say there were 15 other articles posted prior to yours.
newspost

Nov 02, 2012
7:53 AM EDT
@tracyanne that really circled around my implied question.
notbob

Nov 02, 2012
8:23 AM EDT
Don't let it get you down, newpost. If activity in this forum is any indication, only about a dozen of the same people read LXer, anyway, and most of 'em work here. ;)
newspost

Nov 02, 2012
8:43 AM EDT
@notbob I'm definitely not down, I just wanted to make sure to point out how obvious the clique seems to be here.
jdixon

Nov 02, 2012
9:05 AM EDT
> I just wanted to make sure to point out how obvious the clique seems to be here.

Well, if there's a clique here, I should be in it by now; and my posts take the same 8-12 hours you're talking about.
dinotrac

Nov 02, 2012
10:14 AM EDT
OH NO!!!

The LXer queue priority conspiracy has been brought out of the dark and musty spaces it prefers and forced to cower in the light.

Despite the protestations of others, I know for a fact that this is happening. I know the person responsible.

Well, sort of person.

His name is Zach, and he's a bit of a recluse, but LXer is one of his very favorite sites. He would want you to know that he doesn't mess things up on purpose. He just can't help himself.

Zach, you see, is not like you and me or even my dog or your ferret. Zach keeps a low profile because he's a Bigfoot. If you think Lindsay Lohan has paparazzi problems, imagine my poor buddy Zach if they were to get wind of his location!!

Anyway, Zach spends all of his time on the internet and a lot of that time on LXer. Sometimes, however, it makes him soooooooo angry when people diss Linux that he pounds his keyboard.

Pounds it hard. Real hard.

So hard that it feeds back all the way through the internet and scrambles the queue.

He feels real bad about that, but he's got a bigger load on his mind right now.

The other day he had a bit of a sneezing fit.

You've seen the pictures from New York.

Zach's real sorry.
Fettoosh

Nov 02, 2012
11:23 AM EDT
@Dino,

Please tell your friend "Zach" it is OK this time, s/he is forgiven. But Don't Do it Again or Else ...

:-)

Scott_Ruecker

Nov 02, 2012
3:15 PM EDT
The posts get reassigned when one of the editors modifies it in the pending queue and/or posts it to the future queue or adds it the the queue themselves just like a regular user.

They default to 'bob' because he is the publisher. The amount of time it takes for a submission to make it to the news wire depends on how many articles are already in queue to hit the news wire and whether it is something that I think should hit sooner or not. I will freely admit that I arrange and rearrange the future queue all the time in order to spread things out and such so that our news wire is relevant to readers all over the globe, not just the western hemisphere.

Ultimately the news wire, forums, queues and such are my responsibility..;-)

Scott
tracyanne

Nov 02, 2012
5:34 PM EDT
@newspost

Quoting: I just wanted to make sure to point out how obvious the clique seems to be here.

You are an idiot, a Richard Cranium, pure and simple. How many times does one need to explain the mechanics of this site before you actually understand?

There is no conspiracy, there is no clique. If I, or Scott or Carla were to ensure that your articles were to appear within an hour of you posting them then there would be a clique, the newpost clique.

The articles get posted by whomever, they get approved, they appear in the same order as they are posted, each 1 half hour after each other. So if your post appeared 8 hours after you posted it then there were by definition at least 15 other articles that were posted prior to yours that were approved and, which as it happens, also appeared approximately 8 hours after they were posted.

If you think your posted article is so important it needs to appear immediately mark it as "for immediate publication", I'll honour that.... If I agree.

newspost

Nov 02, 2012
5:37 PM EDT
Quoting:You are an idiot, a Richard Cranium, pure and simple. How many times does one need to explain the mechanics of this site before you actually understand?

@tracyanne awesome TOS violation there. FYI - when you said "No one, least of me, is placing posts in any order other than the order in in which they were originally posted.", you were either simply wrong, or you were lying as Scott described how things actually work much more clearly further down in the thread. He actually described that he "will freely admit that I arrange and rearrange the future queue all the time". I didn't reply because it pretty much confirmed my suspicion, sorry.
tracyanne

Nov 02, 2012
6:45 PM EDT
Quoting:you were either simply wrong, or you were lying as Scott described how things actually work much more clearly further down in the thread.

As I said you are an idiot, an idiot so profoundly idiotic you have to peer out past your own teeth to see what's happening, your head having been inserted so far up your rear.

I described exactly how I approve posts, and the mechanism by which they reach the viewing list. On very few occasions I see that some one else has sent stuff to the viewing list out of order, I even do it myself occassionally, if i think the article important enough.

If you have a special reason for having posts sent to the viewing list out of order mark them as "for immediate publication"

Even for you, who has called me a lier, I will honour that request, if it is reasonable. To determine if the request is reasonable I will read your article, which is something I don't normally do, unless I have reason to believe the posted article is SPAM.
BernardSwiss

Nov 02, 2012
6:49 PM EDT
So, one person (the "Head Pooh-bah" if you will) has the ability to -- on the rare occasion when he deems that a submission actually merits such special treatment -- to promote stories of special interest to the head of the queue. Context is everything -- read for comprehension; "special circumstances" is hardly the same thing as "standard operating procedure".

Other than that, the regular, long-time participants here have noted that their own submissions typically take about as long you have experienced. I'll note that my own experience is similar. It's par for the course, and actually to be expected (and I figured this out on my own, just by observing, as have others)..

If that sounds too simple, there are some refinements. For example, I've noticed that the pacing may also depend on how many stories are in the queue; ie. more stories in the queue results in more rapid pacing, while a near empty queue leads to a slower pace. But if you want to view that sort of thing as "interference" or clique-y favouritism, there's little point in discussing this further.

(TL;DR -- It's not about you, actually.)

newspost

Nov 02, 2012
7:12 PM EDT
@tracyanne if I had said this:

Quoting:As I said you are an idiot, an idiot so profoundly idiotic you have to peer out past your own teeth to see what's happening, your head having been inserted so far up your rear.

How fast would I have been banned? Read: Clique.

Quoting:Even for you, who has called me a lier

Well when you say "No one, least of me, is placing posts in any order other than the order in in which they were originally posted." follow it with "If you think your posted article is so important it needs to appear immediately mark it as "for immediate publication", I'll honour that.... If I agree." and end it with "On very few occasions I see that some one else has sent stuff to the viewing list out of order, I even do it myself occassionally, if i think the article important enough.", I find it hilarious that you have the audacity to call me an idiot when I was simply pointing something out that two of you have now confirmed doing. I'm sorry if it angers you that I've pointed out something that you are clearly doing and it makes you angry that I've noticed and mentioned it.

Technically, I haven't really called you a liar, I said you were wrong or you are lying - so if you aren't wrong even though in the last few posts you have implied performing the behavior I noted, well there is only one thing left I suppose.

I didn't start the thread to be attacked, but there is really no surprise that I am. On LXer, the only folks that can continually violate the TOS are the editors / mods. Had I called you an idiot I would have been gone in a second, but I didn't because I don't think you are an idiot. Sadly though, you've gone into attack mode so there is little point in discussing it further. I know, you aren't wrong and you didn't lie. What Scott says he does and what you have now said you do isn't real and I'm just imagining it.

Thanks for clarifying. :)
penguinist

Nov 02, 2012
8:48 PM EDT
I find it ironic, "newspost", that you ask on one hand for LXer to provide you with free promotion for your project, and then on the other hand you attack the very people who are providing you with the free promotion you are requesting.

Something is seriously out of balance here, and I don't think it is the LXer team and community.

Usually people ask in a nice way, and then they say thank you as a common courtesy.
tracyanne

Nov 02, 2012
9:16 PM EDT
@ newspost

The difference is, you are an idiot. But had you called me an idiot, I for one would have fought for your right to do so, if it came to that, and the stink I would put up would pale in comparison to what is going on between us today, and that is the fundamental difference between thee and me. Now smell the roses, they a better by far than what you seem content with.
jdixon

Nov 02, 2012
9:32 PM EDT
> On LXer, the only folks that can continually violate the TOS are the editors / mods.

I never seen the editors/mods "continually" violate the TOS. Tracyanne and I have gotten into it a few times, and each of us has done so in the process, but even that's a rarity.

I've probably violated the TOS here more than most, and I'm neither. I'm also still tolerated, which tells you much about LXer's leniency wrt TOS violations. Unless you're a repeat offender on a regular basis, they're very tolerant and rather forgiving. Personal attacks seem to be less tolerated than the occasional political or religious trespass though.

Seriously, as far as I can tell your post was handled the same way all posts are, as outside of the initial approval or tweaking by Scott, the process seems fairly automated. Obviously, that's impossible to prove one way or the other. So if you insist on believing there's a clique, no one's going to be able to convince you otherwise.

Scott_Ruecker

Nov 02, 2012
10:21 PM EDT
I am closing this thread, too much venom on all sides it seems. Take your conversations to e-mail if you wish to continue this.
newspost

Nov 02, 2012
10:30 PM EDT
Quoting:I never seen the editors/mods "continually" violate the TOS.

@jdixon, reread this thread there are at least three violations today by tracyanne.

Quoting:The difference is, you are an idiot. But had you called me an idiot, I for one would have fought for your right to do so, if it came to that, and the stink I would put up would pale in comparison to what is going on between us today, and that is the fundamental difference between thee and me. Now smell the roses, they a better by far than what you seem content with.

Actually, I'm not but thank you for your vile and utterly pathetic opinion. I see that you can't defend your actions so instead you are forced to resort to personal attacks, a typical reaction when someone is guilty. As much as you would like, and as hard as you are trying I'm not going to respond in kind because I'm just not going to stoop to your level, I'm going to let you flush your own integrity down the toilet all by yourself. I will say that for a moment though I thought I might finally find a bit of integrity and decency here, but then I remembered I'm at LXer where such things don't exist.

The difference between you and I is that I pointed out what I noticed was an obvious occurrence of what appeared to be an intentional delay over several attempts to post news at this site, and I mentioned it without resorting to any sort of personal attacks or slurs. No, implying it was a clique isn't a slur. You reacted first by denying it, then by kind of denying it, and finally admitting doing it while slinging mud with every reaction. At least Scott was up front about it. It was an honest answer and one that I can respect. You couldn't be bothered to be honest though, and you weren't even smart enough to read your own posts before responding, but I'm the idiot right? Of course I am! XD

Seriously, what's been going on between us today is really pathetic but I shouldn't expect better, as it isn't my first rodeo with a few of you.

@jdixon you mentioned that I should be thankful as a common courtesy but if you'll do a little homework you would find that we are very thankful to those that deserve it. Remember, LXer isn't a free community website, and while I'm sure some of the people here are volunteers, at the end of the day it is a business. LXer is in the business of distributing news about important events in the Linux community, not delaying news or burying news because of personal agendas. If I was interested in that sort of thing, I would have just gone over to Fox News.

Well, adios.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!