For Dummies?

Story: Build a headless virtualisation server Total Replies: 3
Author Content
vagabondo

Nov 05, 2012
10:56 AM EDT
But why would a dummy be setting up a VM farm? No mention of basics such as:

Use of SATA rather than IDE, Network connections, Allocation of CPU resources, Allocation (and sharing) of memory, Virtual drive size(s), dynamic cf. static, Guest additions, Graphics configuration, ...

And most important -- download the User Manual.

It's a pity because the style and approach seemed good; but it was simplified/minimized to the point of not being very useful.

JaseP

Nov 05, 2012
3:18 PM EDT
I think the article focuses on techie home users and small/medium sized business users, ... After all, VirtualBox really isn't the best way to be running production servers, nor is Fedora. Plus, the article references IP addresses in the 192.168.x.x range, which aren't ranges used by commercial grade routers,... and the article discusses using an Apache based web admin without any discussion (that I noticed) about shoring up the potential security holes.

So, I kind of disagree. I think it was a fine article for it's target audience. It's just that its target audience isn't high level admins of production systems ...

jdixon

Nov 05, 2012
3:36 PM EDT
> It's just that its target audience isn't high level admins of production systems ...

That would be my working assumption, yes.
vagabondo

Nov 05, 2012
10:29 PM EDT
Steps 6, 7 & 9 seem to have been added since my first comment. These additions address most of the points I raised, although I would still strongly advise any VirtualBox user to grab a copy of the User Manual.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!