What makes this even worse...

Story: Garrett slams Ts'o as 'rape apologist' Total Replies: 5
Author Content
caitlyn

Nov 05, 2012
12:14 PM EDT
What makes this even worse is that, in issuing his apology, Mr. T'so repeated the offensive claims. He says that he never said "rape is not a problem". That's true. He was also never accused of saying that. He is, in effect, saying the same things that Rep.Todd Aiken said, parsing rape into categories. When Mr. Aiken said what he did members of his own political party couldn't distance themselves from him and from his comments fast enough. Members of his own party asked him to drop out of the race he is in as well. What Valerie Aurora has called for regarding Mr. T'so is precisely the same sort of thing that has happened to Mr. Aiken and it's entirely appropriate.

Ted T'so's "apology" is at: http://www.itwire.com/business-it-news/open-source/57296-tso... Valerie Aurora's article is at: http://adainitiative.org/2012/10/open-source-software-open-t...

tuxchick

Nov 05, 2012
1:18 PM EDT
This would be just more background noise of clashing nerds on the Internets, except that Ts'o is an events organizer for the Linux Foundation. Way to attract more women to events. I love his craven yes-butting-- the problem isn't his denials, strange derailments and lunatic "logic", no, it's how people perceived his wacky comments. Geeeeesh. Everyone perceived his meaning just fine, thank you.
caitlyn

Nov 05, 2012
2:11 PM EDT
Precisely. We've heard the same sort of comments from others before and we know perfectly well what they mean.

Rape is one of the most traumatic experiences a person can have. I say person rather than woman because men can be raped and men who suffer through that experience are even less likely to report the problem and seek help. To trivialize what rape means and to try to parse which rapes are real or legitimate and which ones somehow aren't is about the most insensitive and callous thing I can imagine. Like it or not, Mr. T'so is a public figure every bit as much as the politicians Valerie Aurora refers to, at least in the tech world. The consequences of what he has said and how he will be regarded by fellow developers will be long lasting.

Oh, and when women in FOSS talk about how hostile an environment FOSS and IT in general can be for us, this is a prime example of what we mean.
tuxchick

Nov 05, 2012
5:56 PM EDT
Quoting: when women in FOSS talk about how hostile an environment FOSS and IT in general can be for us, this is a prime example of what we mean.

Indeed it is. Because Ted Ts'o, along with famous whinger David Woodhouse, put on the "We don't listen to what women say, and don't believe them when we accidentally do" show. So gee, why would any woman have a problem with that. Jacinta Richardson and Matthew Garrett wrote some excellent comments.

caitlyn

Nov 05, 2012
6:28 PM EDT
dinotrac started an abhorrently offensive defense of Ted T'so in another thread. Please join it. These are not issues I can be unemotional about. You'll see why in the other thread.
tuxchick

Nov 05, 2012
9:13 PM EDT
I put in my $0.02 for what it's worth-- probably not much against such deliberate miscomprehension. Or devil's advocate, not sure which, but it's a dumb issue to play devil's advocate on.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!