I'm in awe!

Story: The People Who Support Linux: SysAdmin Tony Atkinson Admits to a Luddite Streak Total Replies: 6
Author Content
notbob

Nov 11, 2012
7:43 AM EDT
Wow. When he wants get away from cutting edge hi-tech embroilment, he really gets away. Blender, you say? How crude! And here I thought I was a real luddite, having a POTS land line, playing an acoustic guitar and practicing my handwritting with a fountain pen and learning calligraphy and water painting. I even fish and cook real food on a gas stove with manual knobs. Boy, do I ever have a lot to learn about being a luddite. ;)
dinotrac

Nov 11, 2012
10:36 AM EDT
Geez.

Other than the fact that this guy is obviously possessed of skills, he sounds like me, right on down to Blender and old, not-so-smart phones.

I'll admit to a tablet, but that was strictly a business decision.
caitlyn

Nov 11, 2012
3:12 PM EDT
Now that tablets often come with keyboards and morph into netbooks I'm actually interested. I'm only a luddite when it comes to my desktop without a touch enabled monitor.
dinotrac

Nov 11, 2012
5:19 PM EDT
@caitlyn --

Understood. And they come with enough processing power to notice, too. I wouldn't mind overlapping windows...but heck. That's what the big box is for.
Bob_Robertson

Nov 12, 2012
11:19 AM EDT
There are a lot of high-tech folks in the Society for Creative Anachronism, where the greatest accolades come from doing things "by hand", investigating how stuff was in "in the past", and such.

I don't know that I would call this a "luddite" streak, as the Luddites wanted to destroy technology, not just get away from it.

Maybe a better title would have been "Amish Streak"

:^)
gus3

Nov 12, 2012
12:15 PM EDT
"Amish streak"?

When Amish streak, when Luddites streak, when the rest of us streak...

It's amazing how similar we all look, after all.
dinotrac

Nov 12, 2012
1:13 PM EDT
Well, the beards are a giveaway. Not so much for the men.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!