Yeah a big "power user" actually

Story: 'Yellow' journos, power users behind GNOME criticism: claimTotal Replies: 3
Author Content
montezuma

Nov 11, 2012
6:11 PM EDT
Linus Torvalds.

Seriously these gnome devs need to get a clue. There is such a thing as legitimate criticism you know folks.
helios

Nov 12, 2012
11:01 AM EDT
FTA, I found this to be particularly telling:

But people who wrote about FOSS could not be excused on this basis, Mena-Quintero said, because, "You *can* dig for things and find the root cause of changes. You *can* visit wikis, design documents, logged conversations, anything. There are no non-disclosure agreements. Do "open source tech journalists" lurk on mailing lists and IRC channels, do they converse regularly with actual developers, do they actually make an effort to be as well-informed as they could be?"

While he conceded that there were good tech journalists, he blasted those whom he described as yellow journalists.

He had a remedy: ignore most tech journalism altogether.

No, they don't "lurk" on mailing lists or IRC channels. They hear the absolute outrage over their work environment being completely ravaged and replaced with cr@ppy new-age theory and ideas. They hear the feet of tens or hundreds of thousands of feet stampeding for the door. They report on that accordingly.

Yeah, let's ignore that. Good idea. What, the place is on fire? Bah....now shut up, the movie is about to start.

I've went a long way to defend the nearly indefensible in my time, and was properly shouted down. I don't see how this piece can be taken seriously, outside the Gnome Development environment.
caitlyn

Nov 12, 2012
1:15 PM EDT
I said this in another thread, but...

I ran GNOME 3 on OpenSUSE 12.2. I gave it a good long try. I gave it every chance and tried to let it grow on me. It grew on me like a fungus... it was increasingly annoying to use and got in the way of my work.
tracyanne

Nov 17, 2012
4:31 AM EDT
::shrug:: I wonder who they are really trying to convince.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!