Synergy and Catalyst

Story: Harvard Research Scientist: Sharing Discoveries More Efficient, More Honorable Than Patenting ThemTotal Replies: 3
Author Content
Ridcully

Nov 17, 2012
3:03 AM EDT
There is an eerie similarity of the Bradner story to what we have all been saying about software and patents. Software feeds on itself to build better and more efficient methods of performing various functions and at the same time separate software discovery processes work together to take development in directions that would be impossible unless both separate software discoveries are present. In my opinion, patents destroy those processes and are now holding back innovation and exploration in any country which allows the patenting of software.

2c :-)
BernardSwiss

Nov 18, 2012
6:33 PM EDT
The really interesting thing about this story is that it's suggesting that patents are of questionable benefit in the pharmaceutical field -- and the pharmaceutical field is precisely the most favoured example generally used to illustrate the unquestionable benefits or necessity of the patent system.
Ridcully

Nov 19, 2012
2:33 AM EDT
@BernardSwiss.....permit me to use Caitlyn's expression: "What you said". Yes, and I fully agree with you on that one.

As an example, India is now in strife over pharmaceutical patents with the big international firms trying to force India to pay the same costs per patient for HIV treatment as patients in fully developed countries pay.. I cannot remember the exact amounts, but apparently it's the sort of thing that has a patient in the USA, Britain or Australia paying $1000 a month (but at least partially subsidised in Australia so that the cost is largely bourne by the taxpayer), however the Indian pharmaceutical firms can make generic forms of the drugs and have it in their hands for about $5 a month as a guesstimate. The big firms will say that it takes years and years to get these drugs on the market and that the cost is millions........but there are profits and obscene profits, and I am afraid I come down heavily on the side of the Indians in this one, where the average monthly wage for some of them may only be about $20 a month or something similar.

And don't get me started on patents on breast cancer genetics.......that's where my anger against these grubby and disgusting companies becomes explosive.
BernardSwiss

Nov 19, 2012
3:05 AM EDT
It's double talk. When the pharmaceutical industry got the patent period extended to 20 years (from 17 years) they argued that this would enable them to make sufficient profit from the US market alone to ensure their viability. But now they want to say that they can't make a go of it without imposing their exclusive control globally. Heads-- they win; tails -- we lose.

The yeah, the breast-cancer genetics patents are scummy, dishonest and ridiculous. I still haven't figured out how they got away with that scam.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!