Good News

Story: Egosoft plans new Linux ports for X3Total Replies: 4
Author Content
Koriel

Nov 17, 2012
4:40 PM EDT
Things are definitely changing, I love this series, I have X Beyond The Frontier, X-Tension, X2 The Threat and X3 Reunion all Windows versions they pretty much take over your life and are not suited for the casual gamer but for those willing to get over the learning curve they will have a great time and now I will be able to experience the whole thing on Linux.

I'm hoping I don't have to re-purchase and that they will release a Linux binary to be used by folks who purchased the windows version and have the original DVD's or am I just fooling myself.

Egosoft are a good company who listen to their users so it might just happen.

I think we can safely say that this A+ title would be guaranteed to never see the light of day on Linux if it hadn't been for Valve and their bet hedging.

jacog

Nov 19, 2012
3:59 AM EDT
Same here, I love the X series.

And Koriel, they state in their forum post that they want to port so that they can offer "offer a unified product on Steam", which means adding the "Steamplay" tag in the Steam store, meaning you buy once and play on any platform it's available for. When Albion Prelude was released, some of the non-Steam purchased disk versions of TC could be activated on Steam, but mine sadly did not qualify. I gladly threw more money at them though since they are really good about giving free stuff and updates for years after release.

They mention Terran Conflict and Albion Prelude, but no mention of the upcoming X:Rebirth. Albion Prelude is meant to be a sort of "why don't you all play this while we finish up Rebirth" kind of thing, so with any luck this means Rebirth is coming too.
JaseP

Nov 19, 2012
11:48 AM EDT
I have X, X2 and X3,... X2 & X3 are the Linux Game Publishing Linux ports... Unfortunately, I've never finished any of them... My time gaming has slowly evaporated as I've aged, and a lot more so after I became a father... And now,... with a pending separation, and joint custody of my young daughter on the horizon, I doubt I'll get into gaming again... Unless I meet a young gal who's into it...

Still, I might just buy X3 again, so I have the latest version...
helios

Nov 19, 2012
12:16 PM EDT
As it is a fairly well-known fact in my circles, I don't play games well. I'm the only person you have met that can get reduced to a bloody puddle just playing solitaire. Somehow the creatures from Nexuiz jump maps and do me in anyway. I do however, plan to purchase a year's subscription to Steam and gift it to one of our older Reglue kids. I only do so in support of Valve and as a way of supporting the Linux effort. I've emailed Gabe and let him know this as well so he knows there are many of us appreciative of what he has done.
Koriel

Nov 19, 2012
12:48 PM EDT
Im still playing Reunion and haven't managed to get onto the rest of the X3 series due to lack of time mostly.

So at least thats good as once I am done with Reunion they will probably have the Linux ports of Terran Conflict, Albion Prelude etc ready, its kind of good timing for me.

Will probably have to buy a new Nvidia graphics card as the Radeon HD 5xxx I have on my Windows gaming machine sucks big time under Linux hell it even has known issues under Windows so it is the last time I will ever purchase an AMD/ATI card.

Now if only Skyrim and Fallout 3 had linux ports.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!