Yes Hostess should open source their recipes

Story: Should Hostess open source their recipes?Total Replies: 12
Author Content
tuxchick

Nov 19, 2012
1:30 AM EDT
And don't forget most of the ingredients can be found at Home Depot, True Value, and other building supply stores.
HoTMetaL

Nov 19, 2012
6:50 AM EDT
So that's why their white powdered doughnuts tasted like drywall.
Bob_Robertson

Nov 19, 2012
10:27 AM EDT
I'm still wondering if I have to mix my own sterilized, sweetened, whipped beef lard.
caitlyn

Nov 19, 2012
1:46 PM EDT
Is there a kosher symbol on Twinkies? If not I'd bet it's pork lard rather than beef. It's cheaper to make that way.

Drywall or sawdust? Since the latter is waste material that also has to be cheaper.
dinotrac

Nov 19, 2012
4:13 PM EDT
@All -

You sicken me with your ignorant prattle regarding the makeup of one of the world's great delicacies.

How many producers would go to the trouble of making their sponge cake from real artificial sponges?

And you get only the finest, freshets kreme. Not just any kreme, but 100% natural kreme, fresh as it came from the KremeSource.
helios

Nov 19, 2012
4:55 PM EDT
I got the inside skinny on this whole thing yesterday. The whole thing was caused by Hostess losing their contract with Dow Chemical.
caitlyn

Nov 19, 2012
5:10 PM EDT
There is nothing skinny about Hostess products. Eat some regularly and see how un-skinny you become.
tuxchick

Nov 19, 2012
5:15 PM EDT
Caitlyn, since they're not made of food products, they pass through your system, so they are calorie-neutral. Though the SpackleCakes tend to clog up the plumbing a bit.
Bob_Robertson

Nov 19, 2012
5:29 PM EDT
I recall a horse race, some 20 years ago, in which the object was to ride the horse to the other end of the field, choke down a Twinkie as fast as possible, then run WITH the horse back in the other direction.

I won the race, but I have not wanted to eat a Twinkie since.
penguinist

Nov 19, 2012
6:26 PM EDT
Ok, I can no longer resist the temptation to tell my Twinkie story:

I put myself through engineering school working at a local TV station. I usually got the late night shift (the sign-off shift) since no one else wanted it, and for me it was a good time to study while working alone playing the late night movie reels.

Anyway, we had a live after-school show for the kids with a ventriloquist clown with a "dummy" who introduced cartoon clips. For this show, we had a "peanut gallery" of real school children who could supply reaction and interact with the dummy. Twinkie sponsored the show and every day they brought in tray upon tray of the things to give away to the gallery kids.

This meant that there was a never ending supply of fresh left-over Twinkies that I could tap into every night if I got hungry. As a poor university student, I lived on Twinkies for years.

Since graduating and moving away from TV and into real engineering jobs, to this day I cannot and have not touched a Twinkie since. Twinkie Overdose...
dinotrac

Nov 19, 2012
7:46 PM EDT
@penguinist --

Ha! I hear you. Sounds like my pepperoni aversion.

One of the jobs that I worked in college was pizza delivery. Returned and refused pies were put in back for the drivers, and placed under heat lamps. Over time, the pepperonis would curl up, leaving a pie pocked with little cups of grease.

Yum.
Steven_Rosenber

Nov 19, 2012
7:49 PM EDT
I'm still hungry. This isn't working.
Bob_Robertson

Nov 20, 2012
9:27 AM EDT
Darn, Steven, where's the "like" button? (same thing is happening to me, but then I remember the taste of a Twinkie and the feeling goes away)

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!