Unintentional (I hope) mega-FUD

Story: Linux in Enterprises, market share and Business which use LinuxTotal Replies: 10
Author Content
caitlyn

Nov 19, 2012
2:09 PM EDT
Linux has only 8% of the server market? That would be a shocking decline indeed. Then take a look at the OS list. Wndows XP, Windows 7, MacOS and no commercial UNIX. So... I checked what Forrester actually reported. These are Linux enterprise DESKTOP numbers, not server numbers. Linux has 8% of the enterprise desktop. That, based on my experience and research, is about right. The number on the server is north of 35%
dinotrac

Nov 19, 2012
4:08 PM EDT
@caitlyn --

Heck, given Samba, I'll bet Linux has more than 8% of the Windows server market!
BernardSwiss

Nov 19, 2012
7:58 PM EDT
Wasn't that graph supposed to represent corporate desktop "market share"?

(and it indicated 9%)
JaseP

Nov 20, 2012
10:35 AM EDT
I think BernardSwiss is correct. And that would make sense,... With IBM, Google, with their no-Windows mandates, the securities industry, many travel agencies, banks, etc. having more a kiosk approach to desktops,... It isn't too surprising,... a little,... but not too much.

I think the groundswell has started. Many corporates are realizing that their employees don't need Windows to get their work done, that upgrading with Windows means additional training to adapt (the "Ribbon" in Office for example). It's easier to adapt to LO/OO than to switch from Office 2003 to the latest. LO/OO has more features that an average office worker would find useful, like PDF export (including forms creation), and support for many different open and proprietary file formats by default.

All of that is an opportunity for reduced licensing costs. Samba servers, PXE booting thin clients, etc. all represent a chance for businesses to save money and potentially increase security (particularly against local access attacks by disgruntled employees). So-called "Cloud" technology can allow IT departments to centralize employee computing, while supporting BYOD efforts and platform agnostic solutions that limit hardware vendor lock-in.

Mobile devices (tablets, phones, laptops, netbooks) have the processing power that desktop machines had maybe 4-5 years ago. Low end PCs can be bolted on the back of a monitor and net booted with minimal/no local storage. Cars are beginning to have mobile computer/entertainment systems that are capable of syncing with other devices... The world is changing in a lot of ways, driven by Moore's Law. It would be changing even faster if it weren't for the patent wars. The cost of a machine is making the software the most expensive part,... That ultimately drives people to open source, or at least to free software with some form of service hook (Google, Apple's iTunes, etc.). It makes no sense to pay $85 for a device, but the software to make it run costs $150 (phone service, maybe)...
caitlyn

Nov 20, 2012
6:35 PM EDT
What, nobody is screaming about how Linux really is only 1% of the desktop market? Hmmm...
helios

Nov 20, 2012
6:40 PM EDT
Wha....? We're not at 1% anymore. Geez, I HATES me some change.

jk

carry on.
caitlyn

Nov 20, 2012
6:42 PM EDT
Yeah, that change gets heavy in the purse. I'll stick with paper money or a well loaded debit card. :)
BernardSwiss

Nov 20, 2012
10:01 PM EDT
One caveat (it's a big one):

This "data" comes from Forrester.
jdixon

Nov 20, 2012
10:50 PM EDT
> This "data" comes from Forrester.

Well, that makes it about an order of magnitude more reliable than if it came from Gartner, but even that's not saying much.
helios

Nov 21, 2012
11:14 AM EDT
You may drop by and clean the coffee from between my keyboard keys any time this week Cait.

caitlyn

Nov 21, 2012
12:32 PM EDT
Hey, Ken, you've had a rough time of it lately. I thought making you laugh or smile would be a good thing :)

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!