Hostile

Story: Upstream vendors can harm small projects: OpenBSD dev Total Replies: 23
Author Content
r_a_trip

Nov 22, 2012
7:54 AM EDT
I probably shouldn't be saying this as a mere Linux user ( no, I'm not one of the developer gods), but this was a pretty whiny and condescending piece. Yes, Linux probably has a bit more churn than necessary and only looking to GNU for POSIX standardisation is probably not that swell for diversity, but....

The overtones of "We are UNIX! We are the only ones doing stuff right and GNU/Linux is amateurish trash!" were deafening. Technically, there's probably nothing wrong with the BSD's, but over the years I've never quite gotten their culture. Looking in from the outside (and no real desire to go in) it seems a lot of ivory tower elitism making the rounds.

Time and again the themes of "We are REAL (ancestral) UNIX", "We do stuff right the first time", "We design and engineer, Linux just sees what sticks", "Linux is amateurish garbage", "We are more free", "We would have been top dog and Linux non-existent, if it weren't for the AT&T lawsuit" are popping up.

It's not very welcoming. Linux may be a bit irreverent against design and engineering and maybe some tech is replaced too often, but the truth of the matter is that Linux, despite being "less free" and having more churn, went places and the BSD's not so much. For better or worse, dominant forces set the pace and the rest must follow or fall by the wayside.

The BSD's with their apathetic "anyone with half a brain will eventually come to BSD" seem to have lost traction and therefore their ability to sit at the table and be a member of the group who sets the pace. It's either catch up or fade away. Insulting the dominant group, who doesn't strictly need you, is not going to help the collaborative process.
tuxchick

Nov 22, 2012
1:24 PM EDT
Holy sheet, Sam, what happened to IT Wire!! Yikes. My eyes it hurts them.

You're right, r_a trip, OpenBSD seems stuck in the past, and very cliquish. I sympathize with Espie's viewpoint to a degree. Linux is a fast-moving target, and chock-full of gratuitous changes and "improvements", and it seems an awful lot of them are from inexperienced devs raised on Windows or Mac, trying to replicate Windows and Mac awfulness in Linux. There are toolkits and frameworks and all this crazy stuff that to me look like lardy substitutes for understanding the fundamental code base.

It's also full of useful improvements and a lot of good variety, from tiny embedded router Linuxes to supercomputer Linuxes. It's messy, and good stuff and junk are all lumped together, and it takes some time to sort it all out. Linux is useful right now. GNU tools, Bash, all that Linux-y stuff Espie doesn't like add tons of useful functionality. That's why they were created in the first place. Software is a tool, and tools have to evolve.
dinotrac

Nov 22, 2012
1:54 PM EDT
@tc -

Tools have to evolve?

I'm sorry, but that's the most ignorant statement I've ever heard.

Tools were handed down at Creation by the Gurus, and have always been just as they are. Silicon Satan has pulled the wool over your formerly innocent eyes. If you don't reboot, you are doomed to burn in shell until you are nothing more than deadbeef.
tuxchick

Nov 22, 2012
2:35 PM EDT
Sinned I have. Sorry I am not.
montezuma

Nov 22, 2012
3:17 PM EDT
Dino,

Evolving tools? Creation violated? Shocked am I!
dinotrac

Nov 23, 2012
12:31 AM EDT
@t & @m:

Your levity is noted, and a special place in virtual memory is being paged for each of you.
Bob_Robertson

Nov 23, 2012
10:34 AM EDT
You're going to burn in a very special level of hell. A level they reserve for child molesters and people who talk at the theater.
caitlyn

Nov 26, 2012
5:42 PM EDT
Another Firefly fan :)

You're talkin' loud enough for the both of us, ain't ya? I've met a dozen like you. Skipped off home early. Minor grift jobs here and there. Spent some time in the lockdown, but less than you claim. And you're what? A petty thief with delusions o' standing? Sad little king of a sad little hill.

As for all this religious talk:

Bible's broken. Contradictions, false logistics... doesn't make sense. So we'll integrate on-progressional evolution theory with God's creation of Eden. Eleven inherent metaphoric parallels already there. Eleven. Important number. Prime number. One goes into the house of eleven eleven times, but always comes out one.
gus3

Nov 26, 2012
5:53 PM EDT
Um, caitlyn, which episode was that?
Steven_Rosenber

Nov 26, 2012
6:16 PM EDT
From a desktop-users perspective, there's big trouble in BSD country. OpenBSD sort of has GNOME 3 running. Free-, Net- and DragonFly BSD do not. I don't know how well KDE4 runs in most BSDs. OpenBSD still ships KDE 3.x.

The fullest-featured desktop environment that seems to run on everything is Xfce, and if maintaining cross-platform compatibility across Linux and the BSDs is important, there's probably no better place to pile up resources than the Xfce project.
caitlyn

Nov 26, 2012
6:27 PM EDT
@gus3: The first quote is from "Shindig" and the second is from "Jaynestown". Both, as you might expect, are River quotes.
gus3

Nov 26, 2012
6:32 PM EDT
Right, with Ron Glass's hair in all directions. And, of course, "the hero of Canton, the man they call Jayne!"
slacker_mike

Nov 26, 2012
7:01 PM EDT
@Steven historically KDE has been well supported on FreeBSD and of course PC-BSD. FreeBSD also provides ports for LXDE as well.
helios

Nov 27, 2012
11:08 AM EDT
Caitlyn...

Marry me.
caitlyn

Nov 27, 2012
12:00 PM EDT
Ken: We've never even met face to face. Besides, I don't think Diane would be happy about it. :)
helios

Nov 27, 2012
12:38 PM EDT
Sorry kiddo...women who can quote Malcolm Reynolds chapter and verse just sweep me away. Consider it a weak moment. Carry on.
Bob_Robertson

Nov 27, 2012
12:56 PM EDT
The one Malcom Reynolds quote that comes to my mind when I look around...

"They usually are."

But for fun,

"I'm thinking of growing a big black mustache. I'm a traditionalist."
caitlyn

Nov 27, 2012
1:46 PM EDT
I didn't quote Malcolm Reynolds. I quoted River Tam :) River had the best lines.
Bob_Robertson

Nov 27, 2012
2:31 PM EDT
Amazing to think that show has been canceled for 10 years.
caitlyn

Nov 27, 2012
3:52 PM EDT
So many shows I like, the ones that either make you think or are really creative in some way, get cancelled during their first season.
helios

Nov 27, 2012
9:06 PM EDT
I was going to call you on the top one Cait but looked it up and you are right. I meant to say Firefly, not MR. Sadly, her best parts were actually in the Serenity movie itself. I think they treated her as so much background noise in the series. A series I will begin watching again tonight due to this thread. The infighting and politix between Joss and a couple of Execs at Fox X'ed the show from what I hear outside of the official channel. That show was good for at least 3 solid seasons.

Continuum is another one I really like and I thought it had been cx'ed but it looks like season two is coming in 13.
CFWhitman

Nov 28, 2012
12:22 PM EDT
I think the "in" joke references to Firefly in Castle are funny. Most of the people I know pick up on them. Does that mean that a lot of people are familiar with Firefly, or is it just an indication of how eccentric my family and friends are?
BernardSwiss

Nov 28, 2012
8:54 PM EDT
Sorry, CFW, but it's the later.

Most of my close friends will pick up on those, but no one else in my family ever watched any Firefly at all.
Koriel

Nov 28, 2012
11:04 PM EDT
Well im willing to burn in that special hell for Christina Hendricks that girl's curves should have warning signs on them.

Yes also a firefly fan.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!