advertising

Story: All things Raspberry Pi at The Pi HutTotal Replies: 9
Author Content
vagabondo

Nov 23, 2012
4:59 AM EDT
this item's only purpose is to link to an on-line store.
Fettoosh

Nov 23, 2012
11:43 AM EDT
And it is very helpful and good information for many who are interested in RasPi. Thanks Steven

vagabondo

Nov 23, 2012
1:58 PM EDT
@Fetoosh

I would be interested to know why yourself and Steven appear to be recommending this company. Do you have any experience with them?

As far as I can gather Mann Enterprises Ltd (t/a The Pi Hut) have no history (the company is only six weeks old), uses a mail forwarding service as its operational and registered address, uses a third-party e-commerce service, only offers the same products as the official distributors/sales outlets (e.g. http://www.farnell.com/raspberrypi/ ), and charges more.

But I could be wrong, and you might know of some advantage in using this company.

Fettoosh

Nov 23, 2012
2:58 PM EDT
@vagabondo,

No previous experience or preference at all. I am not recommending it but just making the point that the link is helpful for those who want another source to purchase RasPi related items.

Steven_Rosenber

Nov 23, 2012
6:22 PM EDT
I just happened to learn of this company's existence -- that is all. What I have seen in terms of Raspberry Pi retailers hasn't been terribly inspiring, and this place looks a bit better.

I had never heard of it before -- just passing that along.

The item did include a lovely sentence about my Raspberry Pi plans -- aren't you intrigued by the words, "hillbilly laptop"?

Later: The site looks good, but I can confirm, as commenters here have said, that pricing is terrible.
vagabondo

Nov 23, 2012
9:02 PM EDT
There are only two genuine/approved retailers of the Pi -- RS and Farnell//element14.

The Pi Hut seems to be just a new face for an e-bay huckster (Jamie Mann -- TrendingUK). I just do not understand why anyone would want to buy via a middleman and pay inflated prices.

Fettoosh

Nov 23, 2012
10:58 PM EDT
Quoting:why anyone would want to buy via a middleman and pay inflated prices.

I believe people who are interested in RasPi are smart enough and will shop around to purchase from the best source.

Steven_Rosenber

Nov 24, 2012
12:52 AM EDT
Oy ... didn't know about the pricing. Changed my entry to reflect the gouging ...
notbob

Nov 24, 2012
7:56 AM EDT
vagabondo wrote:There are only two genuine/approved retailers of the Pi -- RS and Farnell//element14.

I find all this sadly funny, as the greatest prices on the planet are pointless if you can't get the board!

I'm all plugged in at Newark aka element14, for a board/notification/whatnot. I get a lotta email spam from them, but nary a peep about an actual board (no, I don't want any down-rev used boards!). Adafruit has entire inventory of periipheral junk for the RPi, but they are allied with Newark and still can't get board one, either. I figure by time RPi reaches a production level that will satisfy rabid buyers, it will be obsolete, so I no longer even bother to look.
BernardSwiss

Nov 24, 2012
7:21 PM EDT
This is starting to sound like wanting to go to a big concert, but the scalpers have beat the audience to all the tickets.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!