Does such a thing exist?

Story: Fedora 18 Beta ReviewTotal Replies: 7
Author Content
caitlyn

Nov 27, 2012
4:30 PM EDT
Quoting:it has a good and pure Gnome3 implementation
Does such a thing exist? That line alone makes the review questionable.

The delays "harmed Fedora's credibility"? Really? To me delaying until the code is ready rather than meeting an arbitrary date strengthens Fedora's credibility in my book. I've read plenty of other comments to that effect from a variety of Linux users.

Yum is problematic? Since when? I don't care much for the Red Hat/Fedora GUI front end to yum but it most definitely does work. Bad support for proprietary apps? Add the third party repo and use yum-priorities to avoid conflicts. It works. No "Software Center"? I guess only Ubuntu is acceptable.

Finally, folks, it's a BETA! That means there are unfixed bugs. Judging Fedora 18 at this point is simply not fair.

mortenalver

Nov 27, 2012
5:14 PM EDT
Since the review is on a site named worldofgnome.org, I'd be surprised if the author didn't like Gnome :)
caitlyn

Nov 27, 2012
5:16 PM EDT
Fair point. Yep, probably a little bias there. OTOH, the rest of my comments still apply.
cr

Nov 27, 2012
7:37 PM EDT
It's just gnomenclature.
tuxchick

Nov 27, 2012
8:02 PM EDT
Quoting:It's just gnomenclature.

:D :D :D :D
Steven_Rosenber

Nov 27, 2012
9:01 PM EDT
It's on a GNOME-centric blog, so it's pure as Ivory.
helios

Nov 27, 2012
9:12 PM EDT
In an RPM-based distro, I prefer YUM. yum install packagename, yum list updates, etc. It's just easier and now that dependency hell is fairly well contained to some older and mostly unused stuff anyway, it's great in terminal.
claudecat

Nov 27, 2012
9:37 PM EDT
Agree with YUM being the best cli package manger with the possible exception of pacman. The fact that Fedora handles almost all updates as delta-rpms is a boon to those of us with less than unlimited bandwidth. It's gotta be good for the trees and salamanders and such too in a roundabout way.

I'm gonna try the KDE spin of the beta soon, as I really like(d) F17 KDE. I'm with caitlyn and most others here in detesting Gnome3/shell.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!